Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to upgrade the CPU with my motherboard?

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1
    Click the link for specifications on my desktop computer.

http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668208.php [Broken]

I was wondering if it is possible in terms of hardware compatibility to upgrade my CPU from a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 to an Intel Core 2 Extreme. I'm not sure if the motherboard's socket type as well as the computers other components will support it. I believe it is an LGA 775 socket, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

4. Jun 1, 2009 #3
  5. Jun 1, 2009 #4
    I don't think I'll be spending more for that CPU than I did for my whole computer. I don't understand why the Core 2 Extremes are actually more expensive than it's faster successor, the Core i7. When will the prices of the Core 2 Extremes drop?

6. Jun 1, 2009 #5
    It's pretty pointless to upgrade a CPU by itself because the latest and greatest CPU will always use a different chipset. This is why most people upgrade CPU and motherboard together. And if you're upgrading the motherboard, you usually have to upgrade the RAM. And of course, you probably need a new PSU to support the new CPU...and unless you recently upgraded your GPU...well, you get the idea. It makes sense to upgrade everything all at once, except for perhaps the case, which you can keep for a few cycles :P

7. Jun 1, 2009 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Be careful upgrading that CPU. As far as I can tell the Northbridge doesn't support it and unless things have changed, your interface isn't the only thing that will decide whether or not your CPU will be compatible.

8. Jun 3, 2009 #7
    With my chipset, socket type, and North Bridge/Southbridge, what is the fastest Core 2 Quad processor that I can upgrade to in terms of compatibility?

9. Jun 4, 2009 #8
    research overclocking you current chip
    best case it is free
    worst case you planed to junk it anyway
    core2 chips are known to overclock well

but you most likely will need a better mother board
    as Gateway and most other CORPs use cheap M/B

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook