Is it possible to use L= r x p to find angular momentum here

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Warlic
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



upload_2015-12-3_13-6-0.png
[/B]

Homework Equations



L = I ω
L= r x p

The Attempt at a Solution



For b)

My proffesor found the moment of inertia at the point at which the wheel touches the ground, and used the formula L = I ω
upload_2015-12-3_13-7-47.png
What I don't understand is why can't one use L= r x p to solve the problem.
Wouldn't L then simply be L=RMV? [/B]
 
Attachments
  • upload_2015-12-3_13-5-10.png
    upload_2015-12-3_13-5-10.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 640
Physics news on Phys.org
Warlic said:
What I don't understand is why can't one use L= r x p to solve the problem.
Wouldn't L then simply be L=RMV?
If the wheel were sliding without friction along the road then that would be true. Then the wheel could be modeled as a point mass M moving past the point of interest at a perpendicular distance R.

But the wheel is rotating (about the instantaneous contact point on the road). So the wheel's moment of inertia and the parallel axis theorem is called for.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Warlic
gneill said:
If the wheel were sliding without friction along the road then that would be true. Then the wheel could be modeled as a point mass M moving past the point of interest at a perpendicular distance R.

But the wheel is rotating (about the instantaneous contact point on the road). So the wheel's moment of inertia and the parallel axis theorem is called for.
I see, thank you. So if the object is not rotating, I can use L=MRV, where R is the distance to the center of mass of the object?
 
Warlic said:
I see, thank you. So if the object is not rotating, I can use L=MRV, where R is the distance to the center of mass of the object?
Yes. Then it's just a non-rotating rigid body undergoing linear motion.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Warlic