Is it possible to Vary the Size of some Really Tiny cells?

• Thread starter Mark3539
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
Mark3539
First, I know almost nothing about physics or electronics, but I think this idea has promise.
Maybe this post should be in "Engineering"?

Is there a Cell, or Entity, or Really Tiny Bubble, maybe even Electronic, sorta' like...
your LED computer screen is made up of millions of Pixels.
Those pixels are (maybe?) connected / programmed with a Matrix,
each pixel on a different X-axis and Y-axis (2-dimensional).

Is there a way to make each one of those "pixels? / cells?" change their Size?
Can you make Each One physically bigger / smaller?

This involves a physical device, covering less than six inches square.
Maybe an LED is not a suitable analogy.
Optimally, each "cell" is size-adjustable in only one direction (in a three-dimensional world),
sorta' like a handful of strands of uncooked spaghetti.
Each strand can be made shorter or longer, but the thickness of each strand remains the same.

Also, all of these "cells" can be clear / transparent, like glass.

Where can I do further study of something along these lines?

Thanks, people.
Mark3539

Engineering news on Phys.org
It could be a great idea in a science fiction story. As an example, in the Star Trek Discovery series they are propelled far into the future and when looking for parts to repair their ship learn about programmable matter. It’s a kind of nano technology that allows you to construct any part through self assembly.

Of course, it doesn’t exist in real life but it was a clever plot device.

I would think a mechanical engineering program would touch on the things needed to even evaluate your idea. For one thing, you’ve a lot of constraints on your idea that may make it impossible to build such as the need to make it transparent as a feature.

Right now, you could explore your idea as a science fiction concept and see if that leads you to a more practical implementation of your idea. Years ago, the inventor of the palm pilot carried around a piece of wood in his pocket and imagined how he would use it to do things.

http://pretotyping.blogspot.com/201...wkins was a Palm,his pocket for several weeks.

Welcome to PF.
Mark3539 said:
Where can I do further study of something along these lines?
Nature solved that problem earlier. That is like the changing chromatophores of a cephalopod or a chameleon, where either the size or spacing of the cell details changes, resulting in a change of the colour, reflectivity, or florescence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatophore#Cephalopod_chromatophores
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus#Camouflage_and_colour_change
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chameleon#Change_of_color

Likes Tom.G and jedishrfu
This reminds me of The Big Bang Theory episode where Leonard's bully has this great idea to invent glasses that turns any movie into 3D.

Leonard says that sounds like a really neat invention and asks how that'll work.

And the guy says "Oh I'm the idea guy, it's up to you eggheads to figure it out."

Likes Mark3539
Thanks for the replies, people.
I read all of the links provided. Perhaps I should further explain.
Transparency: the cells ARE fully transparent. No colors involved.
Imagine a square, six inches on each side, laying flat, and let's say: 1/4 inch thick/tall.
Millions of strands of "spaghetti", maybe the size of human hair, standing up, each 1/4" tall.
Like a piece of clear plate glass. Fully transparent.

DaveC426913, I like your analogy to the Big Bang glasses.
That was a very funny show.
Maybe if we can shorten and lengthen each hair strand,
we Could look thru the glass and see 3D. ? (No unicorns here.)
Yup, I'm just the Idea guy. OK, eggheads, what else might you suggest?
Thanks for your time.
p.s. I mean that "eggheads" in the most endearing way.

Mark3539 said:
Millions of strands of "spaghetti", maybe the size of human hair, standing up, each 1/4" tall.
If they are transparent, why change their size?

You are describing something like a fibre-optic imaging system, or a microchannel plate, as used to make an image intensifier or detector.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchannel_plate_detector

You do not have the experience necessary, to blindly lead us along the easy route, to where you want to go. Stop wasting time, and tell us what you are trying to achieve, and we will do our best to get you there.

Likes sophiecentaur, DaveE and berkeman
Mark3539 said:
Transparency: the cells ARE fully transparent. No colors involved.
Imagine a square, six inches on each side, laying flat, and let's say: 1/4 inch thick/tall.
Are you still asking if such a thing exists?
Lets assume a working answer of no.
Where do we go from here?

Likes russ_watters
Mark3539 said:
Each strand can be made shorter or longer, but the thickness of each strand remains the same
Sounds like the old style 3d tactile display
on steroids
tactile_display.gif

Or a 'dot pad'
Dot-Pad-Cannon.jpg

So tell us your idea.
You will receieve constructive criticism either positive or negative or likely both. But please no more "twenty questions"

Likes Bystander and berkeman
Maybe look into piezoelectric materials. They change their dimensions (a little bit) in one direction when an e-field is applied. Some, like quartz are transparent. Millions of hairlike strands 1/4" tall will be hard to fabricate, particularly with the necessary interconnects. but your not really going to build this thing, right?

1. Can the size of cells be changed?

Yes, the size of cells can be changed through various biological processes such as cell growth, division, and differentiation.

2. How small can cells be?

Cells can vary in size, but the smallest known cells are bacteria, which can range from 0.1 to 5 micrometers in diameter.

3. What factors determine the size of cells?

The size of cells is determined by a combination of genetic and environmental factors, including the cell's function, metabolism, and the availability of nutrients and resources.

4. Is it possible to artificially manipulate cell size?

Yes, scientists have developed techniques to artificially manipulate cell size, such as using microfluidic devices or genetic engineering.

5. How do changes in cell size affect an organism?

Changes in cell size can have a significant impact on an organism's overall growth, development, and function. For example, abnormal cell growth can lead to diseases such as cancer, while changes in cell size during development can affect an organism's final size and shape.