1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to work with pharmaceuticals as a chemical engineer?

1. Apr 11, 2013 #1
    I am a high school senior, probably attending University of South Florida next year. Chemistry is my favorite subject and I am interested in working with pharmaceuticals, designing drugs and drug delivery systems, etc.
    I don't think I would like to do pre-pharm and go to pharmacy school, as I feel like I would end up just working a depressing job at CVS (I also heard there will be a surplus of pharmacists soon, this might be incorrect.) Since I heard chemical engineers often work with pharmaceuticals, I became interested in chemical engineering. It would provide good job prospects and I could go for a post-grad afterwards. That being said, I have two questions:
    1-Do chemical engineers really work up close with pharmaceuticals, designing drugs and drug delivery systems, etc? Is this the best choice of major for that objective?
    2-How could I best complement a chemical engineering degree to fit these aspirations? (for example extra bio classes, minor in biochemistry...)
    Any help would be thoroughly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2013 #2
    Yes. A friend of mine from college is an engineer at Johnson and Johnson working in a pharmaceuticals plant. She works more in the design and construction of process equipment, rather than in the design of the drugs.

Biochemistry or even bioengineering might be a good way into this field.

4. Apr 11, 2013 #3
    Yes. My uncle does this.

5. Apr 13, 2013 #4
    Yes. If your school has some form of bio specialization, it would be good to do that, but I know plenty of chemE's who are going to work for pharma. They'll work with more the production of drugs in a large-scale manufacturing setting. If you want to design/create them, a phd in biochemistry or something similar may be the better way to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook