1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Engineering and physics?

1. May 25, 2014 #1
    Does anyone know if chemical engineering is any interesting? I am only considering engineering majors now because of job prospects. Chemical Engineering I heard has a lot of physics and physical chemistry in it. I would like to go to grad school in physics and do something experimental and I am curious if this is a good option (with chemical engineering being a backup). My interest lie anywhere from exotic propulsion to quantum computer technologies. Would chemical engineering give me a leg up at all in those? I appreciate any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2014 #2
    If you want to go to grad school in physics why do you care about the job prospects of an engineering BS?

If you want a job after your BS, I suggest studying engineering.
    If you want to get a physics PhD then I suggest studying physics.
    If you want to get a physics PhD but want an engineering degree as a backup, then dual major.

4. May 25, 2014 #3
    My problem is, what engineering should I choose? Since I am a community college student, I have to have all pre reqs done before I transfer, so i am trying to get an idea of which one I should pick. According to my interests, (propulsion, quantum comp, and plasma) is there a engineering that may help with that?

5. May 25, 2014 #4

esuna

Gold Member

If you're wanting to do research in quantum computing, then physics or EE is your best bet. Same for plasma.

6. May 30, 2014 #5
    It depends. I certainly enjoy being a ChemE, but I would never ever get a PhD in anything. I would not recommend a double major.

If you are interested in having job security, do engineering. Do Chemical Engineering.

Or at least further into it.

7. May 30, 2014 #6

Maylis

Gold Member

I study chemical engineering as well. I have taken a few classes in other engineering disciplines, such as EE and mechanics. I like chemical engineering the most of what I have tried, thankfully.

Most of it is thermodynamics as well as calculations if pumping through pipes and figuring out how much conversion you will get in a chemical reactor with certain specifications. It doesn't seem to be related to what you are talking about.

Look through my old homework questions to get an idea of what kind of questions chemical engineers solve in my post archive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook