Chemical Engineering and physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether chemical engineering is a good option for someone interested in pursuing a graduate degree in physics. The participants consider various factors, including job prospects, personal interests, and potential for dual majors. They ultimately conclude that chemical engineering may not be the best fit for someone interested in quantum computing, plasma, and exotic propulsion, and suggest pursuing physics or electrical engineering instead. They also mention that chemical engineering involves thermodynamics and calculations related to chemical reactions and pumping, which may not align with the individual's interests.
TheKracken
Does anyone know if chemical engineering is any interesting? I am only considering engineering majors now because of job prospects. Chemical Engineering I heard has a lot of physics and physical chemistry in it. I would like to go to grad school in physics and do something experimental and I am curious if this is a good option (with chemical engineering being a backup). My interest lie anywhere from exotic propulsion to quantum computer technologies. Would chemical engineering give me a leg up at all in those? I appreciate any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to go to grad school in physics why do you care about the job prospects of an engineering BS?

If you want a job after your BS, I suggest studying engineering.
If you want to get a physics PhD then I suggest studying physics.
If you want to get a physics PhD but want an engineering degree as a backup, then dual major.

My problem is, what engineering should I choose? Since I am a community college student, I have to have all pre reqs done before I transfer, so i am trying to get an idea of which one I should pick. According to my interests, (propulsion, quantum comp, and plasma) is there a engineering that may help with that?

If you're wanting to do research in quantum computing, then physics or EE is your best bet. Same for plasma.

TheKracken said:
Does anyone know if chemical engineering is any interesting? I am only considering engineering majors now because of job prospects. Chemical Engineering I heard has a lot of physics and physical chemistry in it. I would like to go to grad school in physics and do something experimental and I am curious if this is a good option (with chemical engineering being a backup). My interest lie anywhere from exotic propulsion to quantum computer technologies. Would chemical engineering give me a leg up at all in those? I appreciate any advice.

It depends. I certainly enjoy being a ChemE, but I would never ever get a PhD in anything. I would not recommend a double major.

If you are interested in having job security, do engineering. Do Chemical Engineering.

Or at least further into it.

I study chemical engineering as well. I have taken a few classes in other engineering disciplines, such as EE and mechanics. I like chemical engineering the most of what I have tried, thankfully.

Most of it is thermodynamics as well as calculations if pumping through pipes and figuring out how much conversion you will get in a chemical reactor with certain specifications. It doesn't seem to be related to what you are talking about.

Look through my old homework questions to get an idea of what kind of questions chemical engineers solve in my post archive.

1. What is the difference between chemical engineering and physics?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on designing, producing, and optimizing chemical processes, while physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter and energy. Chemical engineers use principles from physics to understand and manipulate chemical processes, but their main focus is on the practical application of these principles in the production of products and materials.

2. What are some career options for someone with a degree in chemical engineering and physics?

Some career options for someone with a degree in chemical engineering and physics include working in industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials, energy, and environmental engineering. They can also pursue research and development positions in government or private laboratories, or work in academic institutions as professors or researchers.

3. How does chemical engineering use principles from physics?

Chemical engineering uses principles from physics, such as thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer, to understand and manipulate chemical reactions and processes. These principles are essential for designing and optimizing chemical processes and equipment used in industries such as food and beverage, oil and gas, and pharmaceuticals.

4. What are some key skills required for a career in chemical engineering and physics?

Some key skills required for a career in chemical engineering and physics include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a deep understanding of mathematics and physics principles, excellent communication and teamwork skills, and the ability to think critically and creatively.

5. How does studying chemical engineering and physics contribute to solving global challenges?

Studying chemical engineering and physics can contribute to solving global challenges in various ways. For example, chemical engineers can develop efficient and sustainable processes for producing energy, food, and materials, while physicists can contribute to the development of renewable energy technologies and advanced materials. Additionally, the interdisciplinary nature of these fields allows for collaboration and innovation in tackling global challenges such as climate change, pollution, and resource depletion.