Is it safe to use 75% Alcohol with PP and other plastic-made container

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety of using 75% isopropyl alcohol with plastic containers commonly found in the consumer market for cleaning. It is unlikely that there will be any reaction or release of toxic gases, but some plastics may swell. It is recommended to check a chemical compatibility chart for specific types of plastic. Overall, it is safe to clean plastic with consumer type alcohol, but it is always best to do a small test first.
kenny1999
Is it safe to use 75% Alcohol (Isopropyl) with PP and other plastic made container commonly found in the consumer market for cleaning? Could
there be any reaction and release toxic / harmful gases or materials?

I once studied Chemistry but left school for decades

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Other gases than just the alcohol vapor? Highly unlikely. Some plastics can swell in the IPA, but I doubt PP will.

Borek said:
Other gases than just the alcohol vapor? Highly unlikely. Some plastics can swell in the IPA, but I doubt PP will.

What does it mean "in the IPA"? In other words, can I safely clean the plastic stuff with consumer type alcohol of various concentrations which are safe to both the surrounding and the stuff itself (not damaging it)??

kenny1999 said:
What does it mean "in the IPA"?

IPA = isopropyl alcohol.

In other words, can I safely clean the plastic stuff with consumer type alcohol of various concentrations which are safe to both the surrounding and the stuff itself (not damaging it)??

Most likely - yes. Making a test by putting a drop of IPA on the surface and waiting won't hurt - not because of the health concerns, but to make sure it doesn't damage the surface leaving a stain.

The standard bottles in which isopropyl alcohol (both 72% and 91%) is sold are HDPE (high density polyethylene).

1. Is 75% alcohol safe to use with plastic containers?

Yes, 75% alcohol is generally safe to use with plastic containers. However, it is important to note that some plastics may react with alcohol and release harmful chemicals. It is best to use containers specifically labeled as "alcohol-resistant" or made from polypropylene (PP) plastic.

2. Can I use 75% alcohol with all types of plastic containers?

No, not all plastic containers are suitable for use with alcohol. Some plastics, such as polycarbonate and polyvinyl chloride (PVC), may release harmful chemicals when in contact with alcohol. It is important to check the label or consult with the manufacturer before using alcohol with a plastic container.

3. Is it safe to store 75% alcohol in a plastic container?

It is generally safe to store 75% alcohol in a plastic container, as long as the container is labeled as "alcohol-resistant" or made from PP plastic. However, it is important to keep the container tightly sealed and out of reach of children and pets.

4. Can I use 75% alcohol to clean plastic surfaces?

Yes, 75% alcohol can be used to clean plastic surfaces. However, it is important to test a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure that the alcohol does not damage or discolor the plastic. It is also recommended to dilute the alcohol with water for cleaning purposes.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using 75% alcohol with plastic containers?

Yes, it is important to always follow the instructions and warnings on the alcohol and plastic container labels. It is also recommended to wear gloves and work in a well-ventilated area when handling alcohol. Additionally, store the container in a cool, dry place and avoid direct sunlight or heat sources.