Is it safe to use 75% Alcohol with PP and other plastic-made container

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
Is it safe to use 75% Alcohol (Isopropyl) with PP and other plastic made container commonly found in the consumer market for cleaning? Could
there be any reaction and release toxic / harmful gases or materials?

I once studied Chemistry but left school for decades

Borek

Mentor
Other gases than just the alcohol vapor? Highly unlikely. Some plastics can swell in the IPA, but I doubt PP will.

Other gases than just the alcohol vapor? Highly unlikely. Some plastics can swell in the IPA, but I doubt PP will.
What does it mean "in the IPA"? In other words, can I safely clean the plastic stuff with consumer type alcohol of various concentrations which are safe to both the surrounding and the stuff itself (not damaging it)??

Borek

Mentor
What does it mean "in the IPA"?
IPA = isopropyl alcohol.

In other words, can I safely clean the plastic stuff with consumer type alcohol of various concentrations which are safe to both the surrounding and the stuff itself (not damaging it)??
Most likely - yes. Making a test by putting a drop of IPA on the surface and waiting won't hurt - not because of the health concerns, but to make sure it doesn't damage the surface leaving a stain.

JBA

Gold Member
The standard bottles in which isopropyl alcohol (both 72% and 91%) is sold are HDPE (high density polyethylene).