Is it safe to use 75% Alcohol with PP and other plastic-made container

  • Thread starter Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Alcohol Container
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 21K views
kenny1999
Messages
235
Reaction score
5
Is it safe to use 75% Alcohol (Isopropyl) with PP and other plastic made container commonly found in the consumer market for cleaning? Could
there be any reaction and release toxic / harmful gases or materials?

I once studied Chemistry but left school for decades
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Other gases than just the alcohol vapor? Highly unlikely. Some plastics can swell in the IPA, but I doubt PP will.
 
Borek said:
Other gases than just the alcohol vapor? Highly unlikely. Some plastics can swell in the IPA, but I doubt PP will.

What does it mean "in the IPA"? In other words, can I safely clean the plastic stuff with consumer type alcohol of various concentrations which are safe to both the surrounding and the stuff itself (not damaging it)??
 
kenny1999 said:
What does it mean "in the IPA"?

IPA = isopropyl alcohol.

In other words, can I safely clean the plastic stuff with consumer type alcohol of various concentrations which are safe to both the surrounding and the stuff itself (not damaging it)??

Most likely - yes. Making a test by putting a drop of IPA on the surface and waiting won't hurt - not because of the health concerns, but to make sure it doesn't damage the surface leaving a stain.
 
The standard bottles in which isopropyl alcohol (both 72% and 91%) is sold are HDPE (high density polyethylene).