Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is light speed faster coming from a smaller star?

1. Aug 9, 2009 #1
    If gravity slows light, would light be pushed faster away from a star that has less gravitational pull? Would we still observe it at c?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Gravity doesn't slow light, light travels at C.

4. Aug 9, 2009 #3
    What about black holes?

5. Aug 9, 2009 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What about them?

[edit] And to save some time, does my previous post have anything to say about this question...?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  6. Aug 9, 2009 #5
    I'm pretty amateur about all this but even I know that black holes don't slow light, they change it's path. The effect is called gravitionally lensing.

Now when it comes to light not being able to escape a black hole.... I'm not sure why that happens...

7. Aug 9, 2009 #6
    Exactly the same reason. Spacetime is bent so strongly around a black hole that the start and endpoint of a light rays path is within the event horizon, any light leaving the 'surface' of the black hole will be bent back onto it.

8. Aug 9, 2009 #7
    Light travelling directly outward from the black hole is redshifted so much it loses all of its energy. Light travelling at an angle out from the black hole is bent back in towards the black hole.

9. Aug 10, 2009 #8
    Ok, sorry for the wasted space. Light travels at c.....no exceptions. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook