1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is memorization bad or good in this case? Is it even necessary?

1. Aug 22, 2008 #1
    When (self)learning quantum mechanics, I was introduced to Hermitian polynomials when learning about harmonic oscillators. This was pretty simple to remember, but then, today, when I first started reading about 3D quantum mechanics (when the Schroedinger equation has now become spherical), I am being attacked by differential equations which have *very* strange solutions... some of them include the spherical harmonics, associated Legendre functions (with Legendre polynomials), Bessel spherical functions, and Neumann spherical functions.

In a quantum mechanics undergraduate course, are such formulae provided (to avoid memorization)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2
    When I took quantum mechanics, I did not have to know "Legendre functions (with Legendre polynomials), Bessel spherical functions, and Neumann spherical functions" too thoroughly. As I recall, I was just learning Bessel, Neumann, and Legendre functions.

The answer might depend on your learning style. I learn things from the top down. I get the big picture first, and then dig down into the finer (and more finer) details. If it were me I would just focus on the quantum mechanics and learn what ever mathematical details it required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?