Advanced quantum mechanics book - toward QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for advanced graduate level quantum mechanics to study quantum field theory (QFT). The individual asks for book recommendations and also mentions the importance of studying special relativity as QFT deals with relativistic field theories. They also mention having already taken a course in special relativity. It is noted that studying general relativity is not necessary to start learning QFT.
mgal95
Hello everyone!
I just finished studying basic quantum mechanics, using Liboff's "Introductory Quantum Mechanics", i.e. wavefunctions, uncertainty relations, basic 1D problems, dirac notation, angular momentum (orbital and spin, addition, eigenfunctions, Clebsch-Gordan coefficients etc), problems in 3D (free particle in spherical, hydrogen atom), matrix mechanics, Heisenberg Picture, time independent perturbation theory, WKB approximation, harmonic oscillator using annihilation and creation operators, plus the mathematics for those (some operator theory and the special functions (legendre, laguerre polynomials, bessel, spherical harmonics etc)).
My goal is to study QFT and I suppose I first need some advanced graduate level quantum mechanics. What book should I use? Maybe Schiff or Merzbacher? Sakurai's Advanced Quantum mechanics?
Any other recommendation regarding my goal towards QFT? I bought also Feynman's book "path integral and quantum mechanics".

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you will benefit from reading a more advanced quantum mechanics text before delving into quantum field theory. I would also like to point out one thing which might not be very obvious: You also need to study special relativity to some extent. The reason for this is that QFT to a large extent deals with relativistic field theories and you will therefore benefit greatly from having taken at least an intermediate level course on special relativity which goes beyond the introductory level of "this is special relativity, time is relative, length contracts, etc etc" and reaches the discussion on 4-vectors and invariant quantities.

Orodruin said:
Yes, you will benefit from reading a more advanced quantum mechanics text before delving into quantum field theory. I would also like to point out one thing which might not be very obvious: You also need to study special relativity to some extent. The reason for this is that QFT to a large extent deals with relativistic field theories and you will therefore benefit greatly from having taken at least an intermediate level course on special relativity which goes beyond the introductory level of "this is special relativity, time is relative, length contracts, etc etc" and reaches the discussion on 4-vectors and invariant quantities.
Thanks for your reply!
I forgot to mention that! I have taken already a course in special relativity, where we used rindler's book. Do I need more? I am familiar with 4 vectors and the electromagnetic field tensor. Should I study GR first also?

With a level of SR equivalent to that you would have after understanding Rindler you should be fine in terms of the relativity prerequisites. You do not need to study GR to start learning QFT.

1. What is the purpose of an advanced quantum mechanics book?

An advanced quantum mechanics book serves as a comprehensive guide for students and researchers to understand the fundamental principles and mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. It also delves into more advanced topics, such as quantum field theory, which is essential for understanding modern theories in particle physics.

2. How is this book different from introductory quantum mechanics textbooks?

This book goes beyond the basics of quantum mechanics and delves into more advanced concepts, such as quantum field theory and its applications to particle physics. It also assumes a higher level of mathematical proficiency and familiarity with the concepts of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the role of quantum field theory in advanced quantum mechanics?

Quantum field theory is an essential tool for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity, and it provides a framework for predicting and understanding the dynamics of particles at the smallest scales.

4. How does this book contribute to the field of quantum mechanics?

This book presents a comprehensive and in-depth exploration of advanced topics in quantum mechanics, providing readers with a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and mathematical framework of the subject. It also discusses the latest developments and applications of quantum mechanics, making it a valuable resource for researchers in the field.

5. Who would benefit from reading this book?

Advanced quantum mechanics books are generally geared towards graduate students and researchers in the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering. However, anyone with a strong background in mathematics and a deep interest in quantum mechanics can benefit from reading this book.