2D quantum harmonic oscillator in cylindrical coordinates (radial part

In summary: Pergamon Press, New York, 1958).In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem involving a 2D harmonic oscillator potential and the associated Hamiltonian. They have found a solution in cartesian coordinates but are looking for a solution in cylindrical coordinates. They have attempted a separation of variables but have not been able to find a solution. They are looking for an analytic solution and have mentioned potential solutions using Bessel, spherical harmonics, and Laguerre polynomials. They hope someone on the forum can provide an answer or at least clarify if the problem is solvable analytically. They also mention that citations would be appreciated.
D0m2
Dear kind helpers,

actually I am not 100% sure whether this is the right place to post, as it is not a homework in the sense of an exercise sheet. But I think it could be because it feels pretty basic and that I should be able to solve it. Though I really searched for a solution but could not find one.
What made me hesitate to post here, is that I am not sure, whether there is an analytic solution to my problem at all.
So I hope to have found the right place to post. Please excuse if not.

My problem is the following: I've got an effective 2D harmonic oscillator potential (no degree of freedom in z)
[itex]V(r)=\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2(x^2+y^2)[/itex]
so the Hamiltonian is
[itex]\mathcal{H}=\frac{1}{2m}\left[\left(\frac{\hbar}{i}\nabla\right)^2+m^2\omega^2(x^2+y^2)\right][/itex]
(where I allowed me to use [itex]\nabla=\left(\frac{d}{dx},\frac{d}{dy}\right)[/itex]
I could, of course, solve this easily in cartesian coordinates as two one dimensional oscillators with the energy eigenvalues
[itex]E=\left(n_x+n_y+\hbar\omega\right)[/itex]
with the corresponding wavefunctions, which I could, with the aid of Griffiths, calculate pretty easily.

The important point is however, the rotational symmetrie around the z-Axis to underline the degeneracy of the eigenstates.
That is where cylindrical coordinates become obvious.
with [itex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/itex] the Hamiltonian should become:
[itex]\mathcal{H}=\frac{1}{2m}\left[\hbar^2\left(\frac{d^2}{d r^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{d r}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{d^2}{d \phi^2}\right)+m^2\omega^2 r^2\right][/itex]

plugging it into the Schrödinger equation and doing a separation of variables ([itex]\Psi=R\Phi[/itex])
the angular part is easy:
[itex]\Phi=\Phi_0 e^{im\phi} \text{where}\ m=\pm 0,\pm 1,\dots[/itex]

back into the Schrödinger equation leaves me with the radial part:
[itex]r^2R''+rR'+\left(r^2E-m^2-\omega^2r^4\right)R=0[/itex]

But I cannot find a solution to this Problem. But I have to add one last thing: I would rather not want to use a powerseries approach for some reason. That is why I didn't try yet. I hope someone nows a better solution?
Without the harmonic potential part, Bessel functions would solve it. For a similar Problem in three dimensions spherical harmonics. In cartesian coordinates (without seperating the angular part) hermite polynomials. For some reason, Laguerre polynomials seem appealing, but I could not really say way.
But for this problem? Did I make a mistake? Am I mistaken, that the solution should depend only on one quantum number?

I hope I made it clear what my problem is, and that someone here nows an answer, or at least if this is analytically solvable or not. And if someone has, citations would be nice of course.

Best regards

D0m2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the physics forums!

You find an excellent treatment of your problem in

W. Pauli, Wave Mechanics (Vol. 5 of the Pauli Lectures on Physics)

1. What is the 2D quantum harmonic oscillator in cylindrical coordinates?

The 2D quantum harmonic oscillator in cylindrical coordinates is a physical system that describes the behavior of a particle confined to a 2-dimensional space and subject to a harmonic potential. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to model various physical systems, such as atoms and molecules.

2. How is the radial part of the 2D quantum harmonic oscillator described?

The radial part of the 2D quantum harmonic oscillator is described by the radial wave function, which represents the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a certain distance from the origin. It is a solution to the radial Schrödinger equation and can be expressed in terms of Bessel functions.

3. What is the significance of cylindrical coordinates in the 2D quantum harmonic oscillator?

Cylindrical coordinates are used in the 2D quantum harmonic oscillator because they are well-suited for describing systems with radial symmetry, such as atoms and molecules. The radial part of the wave function depends only on the distance from the origin, making it easier to solve the Schrödinger equation.

4. How does the 2D quantum harmonic oscillator differ from the 3D version?

The 2D quantum harmonic oscillator differs from the 3D version in that it only considers motion in two dimensions, while the 3D version considers motion in all three dimensions. This means that the 2D version has a simpler Hamiltonian and wave function, making it easier to solve and analyze.

5. What are the applications of the 2D quantum harmonic oscillator in physics?

The 2D quantum harmonic oscillator has many applications in physics, including modeling the behavior of particles in atoms and molecules, studying the properties of solids and liquids, and understanding the behavior of quantum systems in general. It is also used in various areas of research, such as quantum computing and quantum information theory.