Is MinutePhysics (youtube) a reliable source?

In summary: He does talk about quantum mechanics, relativity, and black holes.In summary, MinutePhysics may not be the best source for information about physics, as some of the information he discusses may not be accurate. However, if you are looking for information on more general physics concepts, he is a good choice.
42Physics
Is MinutePhysics (youtube) a reliable source? I've been watching his videos since they started, but some of the stuff he mentions I question, or is Physics so amazing that I can't believe it xD?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't watch the channel, but looking up Henry Reich let's you see that he's got a master's degree in physics, and is working for the Perimeter Institute, as well as collaborating with people like Neil Turok. Meaning, you can assume he probably knows his stuff.

If there's something specific from there that you feel is not right, make a thread about it and we'll try our best to explain.

And if you're looking for other video-type physics education, look up Khan Academy.
For college-level courses check Academic Earth or Coursera(off the top of my head).

I've brought a couple minutes physics videos to math/physics professors, inquiring about their authenticity, and the impression they've all given me is that there is often a good deal of oversimplification to deal with non-technical audiences, but the ideas and explanations are good.

Vorde said:
I've brought a couple minutes physics videos to math/physics professors, inquiring about their authenticity, and the impression they've all given me is that there is often a good deal of oversimplification to deal with non-technical audiences, but the ideas and explanations are good.
This is my impression.

The videos are oversimplification and analogies. The only bad part is people who take the analogies as absolute truth.

To me, they're enjoyable to watch. They give you a VERY broad overview/oversimplification of extremely complex physical concepts, so you definitely have to do more research outside his videos.

Also some of the more political videos are ripe with naivety and lack of knowledge like the video where he claims that photons and atomic structure are not taught in US physics class which is either semantics or lack of knowledge of the chemistry curriculum which has these topics. Followed by a list of topics which I can't possibly see fitting in a yearlong curriculum in physics. University lecturers have enough trouble teaching some of these topics as their own self contained class with more mathematically prepared students like with chaos theory.

You could get more tangible knowledge by viewing vids like
http://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA?feature=g-high-c
although they arent as flashy.

Last edited:

1. Is MinutePhysics a reliable source for scientific information?

Yes, MinutePhysics is a reliable source for scientific information. The creator of the channel, Henry Reich, has a Bachelor's degree in physics and a Master's degree in science education, making him qualified to explain complex scientific concepts accurately. The videos are also reviewed by a team of experts for accuracy before being published.

2. How do I know if the information presented on MinutePhysics is accurate?

You can trust the accuracy of MinutePhysics as the videos are thoroughly researched and reviewed by experts in the field. The channel also provides sources and references in the video descriptions, allowing viewers to further verify the information presented.

3. Can I use MinutePhysics as a source for academic or scientific research?

While MinutePhysics is a reliable source for scientific information, it is not recommended to use it as a source for academic or scientific research. The videos are meant to be educational and entertaining, and therefore may not provide enough depth and detail for academic purposes.

4. Does MinutePhysics have a bias towards any particular scientific theory or topic?

No, MinutePhysics does not have a bias towards any particular scientific theory or topic. The channel aims to present scientific concepts and theories in a fun and accessible manner, without promoting any specific viewpoint.

5. Can I rely on MinutePhysics as my only source of scientific information?

No, it is not recommended to rely solely on MinutePhysics as your only source of scientific information. While the channel is a reliable source, it is always best to consult multiple sources and do further research to gain a comprehensive understanding of a scientific topic.