Is Playing a Card Game with Ascending Order Wins a Good Bet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter boggled
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
boggled
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello so here is the question:

You have a deck of 97 cards and I will pay you $10 if I draw 4 cards and they are in ascending order (not necessarily consecutive order) and you pay me $1 if they are not. Would you play?

I am thinking a few different ways:

A the easiest: its symetric so equal chances higher or lower so the chance to get 5 cards each one higher than the next is 1/1 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8

or b. the average pick out of the cards is 49 so the next has to be 50 or higher the average of 50-97 is the second choice(that has a probability of 47/96).. the third has to be higher than that average second pick which is 73 average of 73-95 is 85 and so on

so the prob is 1*47/96*26/95*10/94

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
boggled said:
Hello so here is the question:

You have a deck of 97 cards and I will pay you $10 if I draw 4 cards and they are in ascending order (not necessarily consecutive order) and you pay me $1 if they are not. Would you play?

I am thinking a few different ways:

A the easiest: its symetric so equal chances higher or lower so the chance to get 5 cards each one higher than the next is 1/1 * 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8

or b. the average pick out of the cards is 49 so the next has to be 50 or higher the average of 50-97 is the second choice(that has a probability of 47/96).. the third has to be higher than that average second pick which is 73 average of 73-95 is 85 and so on

so the prob is 1*47/96*26/95*10/94

Thank you

Your expression above is 13/912 ≈ 0.01425, but I get something very different: I get p{win} = 4465/18624 ≈ 0.2397.

The point is that when the first number is small, there are lots of ways to choose the second number (to get a win), but when the first number is large the number of choices for the second number is much more limited.

RGV
 
Are the 97 cards all distinct? If so, the probability of drawing 4 in ascending order is simply 1/4!, approximately 0.04167, since all 4! orderings are equally likely.
 
awkward said:
Are the 97 cards all distinct? If so, the probability of drawing 4 in ascending order is simply 1/4!, approximately 0.04167, since all 4! orderings are equally likely.

No fair, you did it the easy way! My previous post was nonsense, as I had made the stupid mistake of forgetting some factors, etc. When I correct the results (but using my lengthy method) I end up with P{win} = 1/24, as you say.

RGV
 
I didn't necessarily do it the easy way the first time, heh heh.
 
awkward said:
I didn't necessarily do it the easy way the first time, heh heh.

There must be something a bit deeper going on here. I used
[tex]P_{\text{win}}= \sum_{i=1}^{94} \frac{1}{97} \sum_{j=i+1}^{95} \frac{1}{96}<br /> \sum_{k=j+1}^{96} \frac{1}{95} \sum_{l=k+1}^{97}\frac{1}{94} = \frac{1}{24} = \frac{1}{4!}.[/tex]
Of course, 1/4! is the volume of the region
[tex]R = \{(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) : 0 \leq x_1 \leq x_2 \leq x_3 \leq x_4 \leq 1 \}.[/tex]
The volume of R can be computed by nested integrations; somehow, we get the same value by replacing the integrations by summations, and with slightly changing denominators (1/97, 1/96, 1/95, ... ). Surely this cannot be coincidental.

RGV