Probability involving a three card hand.

In summary, the probability of drawing a king, a red card, and a jack from a fair deck of 52 cards, in that order, without replacement, is 16/(52*51).
Monstrous Math
Ha! First post! Hope you guys can help me. It's not really a homework problem, but it's close enough.

Homework Statement

What is the probability of drawing a king, a red card, and a jack from a fair deck of 52 cards, in that order, without replacement?

The Attempt at a Solution

If you draw a red king vs. a black king it can affect the probability of drawing a red card next. Similarly drawing a red jack vs. a non-jack from the red suit for the second card will affect the probability of drawing a jack for the third card.

So I divided it into four possible cases, and added together their probabilities:

Red King, Red Suit (non-Jack), Jack:

[itex]\frac{2}{52}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{23}{51}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{4}{50}[/itex]

Red King, Red Jack, Jack:

[itex]\frac{2}{52}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{2}{51}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{3}{50}[/itex]

Black King, Red Suit (non-Jack), Jack:

[itex]\frac{2}{52}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{24}{51}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{4}{50}[/itex]

Black King, Red Jack, Jack:

∴ summing the probabilities yields a solution of [itex]\frac{2}{663}[/itex] I believe.

This makes sense to me, but I have a friend who is arguing with me and telling me this is wrong. I'd like some confirmation either way, and if it is wrong some help with the correct approach.

I tried using WolframAlpha to check, but it wouldn't recognize my question whenever I tried to ask. If anyone knows the correct syntax for asking WolframAlpha (or Mathematica or Matlab), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Monstrous Math said:
Ha! First post! Hope you guys can help me. It's not really a homework problem, but it's close enough.

Homework Statement

What is the probability of drawing a king, a red card, and a jack from a fair deck of 52 cards, in that order, without replacement?

The Attempt at a Solution

If you draw a red king vs. a black king it can affect the probability of drawing a red card next. Similarly drawing a red jack vs. a non-jack from the red suit for the second card will affect the probability of drawing a jack for the third card.

So I divided it into four possible cases, and added together their probabilities:

Red King, Red Suit (non-Jack), Jack:

[itex]\frac{2}{52}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{23}{51}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{4}{50}[/itex]

Red King, Red Jack, Jack:

Black King, Red Suit (non-Jack), Jack:

[itex]\frac{2}{52}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{24}{51}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{4}{50}[/itex]

Black King, Red Jack, Jack:

∴ summing the probabilities yields a solution of [itex]\frac{2}{663}[/itex] I believe.

This makes sense to me, but I have a friend who is arguing with me and telling me this is wrong. I'd like some confirmation either way, and if it is wrong some help with the correct approach.

I tried using WolframAlpha to check, but it wouldn't recognize my question whenever I tried to ask. If anyone knows the correct syntax for asking WolframAlpha (or Mathematica or Matlab), I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

It looks correct to me.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
It looks correct to me.

Thanks for the reply man, I appreciate it.

There is a more direct approach. Clearly it doesn't change the answer if you specify the order as K, J, red.
The probability of drawing a K then a J is 16/(52*51).
Since the K and J are equally likely red or black, on average you will still have equal number of red and black cards remaining, so the probability of now drawing a red card is 1/2.
If your friend still disagrees, you could post your friend's reasoning.

Likes 1 person
Looks good to me as well.

Thanks for the replies, they managed to convince my friend. I think he was trying to do it a different way with the tools he knew (using 52 choose 3), but couldn't work it out to his satisfaction.

I wish I knew how to represent it in Mathematica, since there is a sense in the back of my mind that it knows commands for it. I liked the more direct approach, haruspex, thanks for showing me there's almost always a better, simpler method. I suspect it'll come in handy again for me.

What is probability?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that an event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

What is a three card hand?

A three card hand is a hand of playing cards that consists of three cards, usually drawn from a standard deck of 52 cards. This type of hand is commonly used in card games such as poker.

How do you calculate the probability of a specific three card hand?

The probability of a specific three card hand can be calculated by dividing the number of ways that hand can occur by the total number of possible three card hands. This is known as the probability formula, P(E) = Number of favorable outcomes / Total number of outcomes.

What is the probability of getting a specific three card hand in a single draw?

The probability of getting a specific three card hand in a single draw depends on the total number of cards in the deck and the number of cards in the hand. For example, the probability of getting a three of a kind in a three card hand is approximately 0.0213 or 2.13%.

How is probability used in the context of a three card hand?

In the context of a three card hand, probability is used to determine the likelihood of a certain hand occurring and to make decisions based on this likelihood. It is also used to analyze and strategize in card games such as poker, where players can use probability to make informed decisions about their next move.