Is PSI in a Pneumatic Line a Measure of Potential Energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
DJM111188
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
I wasn't sure exactly where I should have posted this but here I go...

I was reading that Voltage is a measure of potential energy. With that same mind frame would it be correct to say that PSI is also a measure of potential energy? Specifically referring to the psi in an pneumatic line for say a tool.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DJM111188 said:
I wasn't sure exactly where I should have posted this but here I go...

I was reading that Voltage is a measure of potential energy. With that same mind frame would it be correct to say that PSI is also a measure of potential energy? Specifically referring to the psi in an pneumatic line for say a tool.
Pressure is not energy, it is force per unit area (pounds per square inch, for example), wheras energy has length*force units (inch-pounds, for example). However, since pressure has the ability to do work, pressure (gas / liquid) may be considered as pressure energy density (energy per unit volume), but Potential Energy density is not the right term here.
 
PhanthomJay said:
Pressure is not energy, it is force per unit area (pounds per square inch, for example), wheras energy has length*force units (inch-pounds, for example). However, since pressure has the ability to do work, pressure (gas / liquid) may be considered as pressure energy density (energy per unit volume), but Potential Energy density is not the right term here.

Gracias sir.