Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Quantum Physics the theory of everything if

1. Jul 3, 2009 #1

Delta²

Gold Member

Hello i am new to forum, and relatively new to Quantum physics study.

I know that Quantum Physics cannot explain all the physical or universal phenomena, BUT:

Provided that gravitational fields are weak, and we have to do with phenomena at low energies , so that the distortion of space and time (as desicribed by GR ) is negligible, is Quantum Physics the theory of everything? Can quantum physics explain all those phenomena falling into the former category (low gravity-low energy, with flat spacetime)?

Are there any phenomena associated with low energies and low gravity that quantum physics cannot give an explanation?

P.S I am not talkin about unification of the fundamental forces, as there are fermion and bosons which arent the same thing, there might as well be nuclear force and electromagnetic force and electroweak force which need not to be the same.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2009 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I wouldn't say that quantum physics can EXPLAIN all low-energy phenomena, but I think it is safe to say that all such phenomena are CONSISTENT with quantum physics. For example, quantum physics cannot explain why the mass of the electron is such as it is, but such mass is consistent with it because quantum physics allows any mass of the electron.

4. Jul 3, 2009 #3

Delta²

Gold Member

Well the way i mean explanation is the way u perceive consistency ). To be honest you expressed my question (and the answer) in a more accurate way than i did. My main concern is if quantum physics facing a low energy phenomenon, will give a prediction, calculation, or an answer (explanation) that is consistent with the experimental data. In the case of the mass of electron, quantum physics give an answer "it can be anything" which ofcourse is in constistency with the experimental data (at low velocities, at high ones the answer still seems to be consistent but much of quantum physics arent,as the electron mass and energy increases following the increase in velocity, quantum physics start breaking down).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook