Is quantum potentiality more like weight or a wave?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between quantum mechanics and a materialistic worldview. The concept of potentiality is explored and it is suggested that Bell's theorem challenges materialism. However, it is also acknowledged that we may never fully understand the nature of reality, as suggested by quantum mechanics.
MattAndMatthe
My current understanding, albeit extremely naive and novice, of quantum mechanics seems to disallow a materialistic worldview (though only philosophically at the moment). Here is a synopsis of a conversation with a friend, I'm blue:

• Materialists: Your thoughts of quantum physics?
  • Well, it does lay the groundwork for a materialist argument in favor of free will.
  • I don't disagree -- but, more to the point, how can potentiality be considered "material"?
  • Potentiality is just a concept referring to a measurement of sorts. That's kind of like asking "how can weight be considered 'material'."
  • I think potentiality is more than a concept or a description -- it is more like a wave or a point. Like when an electron produces interference in a double-slit test, the interference consists of wavelengths, but the wavelengths don't consist of anything other than all-potentiality (everywhere the electron could be given the possibilities granted by the circumstances of the experiment). So then, the quantum field isn't made up of anything but potential, and the field itself precedes and underpins even energy.

Please input your thoughts and offer your quantum knowledge to assist my thinking to answer the question as posed in the subject of this thread. I want to understand what QM has revealed about the most base level of what we know about the universe. Additionally, any correction to my logic or facts will be thoroughly appreciated and applied.

Cheers:wink:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MattAndMatthe said:
I want to understand what QM has revealed about the most base level of what we know about the universe.

Bell's theorem tells us that either reality is non-local (the external world isn't anything like the material world we experience, because it is not extended in spacetime) or that the material picture is not enough (so we require extra conceptual contraptions like "pilot waves" that connect everything together). Either view sinks materialism IMO.

However, this is telling us something about what "noumenal reality" is NOT like, just as the theory of evolution seems to suggest that God (a noumenal entity) is NOT intelligent. It is far easier to make negative claims about noumena than it is to make positive claims. I'm not sure that QM has told us anything about what noumenal reality IS like.

That we will probably never have the full picture is one of the things I think QM suggests about the universe. Before QM it was almost a sure thing that we were eventually going to know it all.

1. What is quantum potentiality?

Quantum potentiality refers to the idea that particles at the quantum level can exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously, until they are observed or measured.

2. Is quantum potentiality more like weight or a wave?

Quantum potentiality is more like a wave. This is because it exhibits wave-like behavior, such as interference patterns, and can exist in multiple states at the same time, much like a wave can have multiple amplitudes at different points.

3. Can quantum potentiality be measured?

No, quantum potentiality cannot be measured directly. It can only be observed through the effects it has on particles and their behavior.

4. How does quantum potentiality relate to the uncertainty principle?

Quantum potentiality is closely related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously. This is because the potentiality of a particle means it can exist in multiple states, making it impossible to accurately measure both its position and momentum.

5. Are there any practical applications of quantum potentiality?

Yes, quantum potentiality has many practical applications, particularly in quantum computing and cryptography. It also plays a crucial role in various scientific fields, such as quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and quantum chemistry.