Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in HCl, NaHCO3 and NaOH?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Iwantttt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hcl Sodium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 24K views
Iwantttt
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in HCl, NaHCO3, and NaOH?As for HCl, I'm guessing benzoic acid is formed along with NaCl so I guess sodium benzoate is soluble in HCl?
I honestly don't even know how to approach this. Thanks for the help in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Iwantttt said:
Is Sodium Benzoate soluble in HCl, NaHCO3, and NaOH?


As for HCl, I'm guessing benzoic acid is formed along with NaCl so I guess sodium benzoate is soluble in HCl?
I honestly don't even know how to approach this. Thanks for the help in advance.

HCl, NaOH and NaHCO3 are aqueous solutions. What is sodium benzoate? key part 'oate'. What do most salts do in aqueous solutions?
 
Last edited:
The previous reply would be correct but HCl is a stronger acid than benzoic acid, so in HCl, sodium benzoate would react to form benzoic acid, which is insoluble in acidic aqueous solution. I'm pretty sure this is the right way to think about it, but not 100% sure.
 
I think gabriel was implying that since sodium benzoate is a salt, it would dissolve in an aqueous solution. But I don't think that would happen in HCl. Maybe I'm misinterpreting something though.