Would sodium salicytate dissolve in any of them

In summary, the question is whether sodium salicylate would dissolve in water, diethyl ether, 6% HCL, 6% sodium bicarbonate, or 6% sodium hydroxide. The poster believes it would dissolve in water and diethyl ether due to polarity and non-polarity, but is unsure about the other solvents. The questioner also asks for an explanation for the guess. The questioner also mentions confusion about the chemical compound being discussed - sodium salicylate.
Alexestalex

Homework Statement

Would sodium salicytate dissolve in any of the following solvents?

Water
Diethyl Ether
6% HCL
6% sodium bicarbonate
6% Sodium Hydroxide (naoh)

You don't have to but please explain your guess too. Thanks a lot.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it would dissolve in water due to the three Carbon Oxygen bonds it has (giving it a tad bit of polarity) but ever so slightly. The big cyclohexane is non polar which is why it wouldn't dissolve well.

I think it would dissolve well in diethyl ether, they are both extremely non polar. Diethyl ether is non polar due to its symmetry.

I think it would dissolve in HCL. HCL is electron poor while the O in sodium salicytate is electron rich. The electron rich O would grab the H and give the pair of electrons to CL.

The rest makes no sense to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is - chemically - sodium salicylate?

(I assume you mean salicylate, I have no idea what salicytate is).

Yes, that's what i meant.

So what it is?

I can confirm that your predictions are mostly correct. Sodium salicytate is a polar molecule due to the presence of the three carbon-oxygen bonds, which makes it more likely to dissolve in polar solvents such as water. However, the solubility will also depend on the concentration of sodium salicytate and the temperature of the solvent.

Diethyl ether is indeed a non-polar solvent and would likely dissolve sodium salicytate well due to similar intermolecular forces. HCl is a polar solvent and would also dissolve sodium salicytate due to the formation of hydrogen bonds between the hydrogen in HCl and the oxygen in sodium salicytate.

Sodium bicarbonate and sodium hydroxide are both basic solutions, and as you correctly pointed out, the electron rich oxygen in sodium salicytate would react with the electron poor hydrogen in these solutions, leading to dissolution.

Overall, it is important to note that the solubility of a compound depends on various factors, including the nature of the compound and the solvent, temperature, and concentration. Therefore, it is always best to conduct experiments to determine the solubility of a compound in different solvents.

1. Can sodium salicytate dissolve in water?

Yes, sodium salicytate is soluble in water. It can dissolve in water to form a clear solution.

2. What about other solvents, like alcohol or oil?

Sodium salicytate is also soluble in alcohol, such as ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. However, it is not soluble in oil as it is a polar substance and oil is nonpolar.

3. How does the solubility of sodium salicytate compare to other compounds?

Sodium salicytate has a high solubility in both water and alcohol, making it a highly soluble compound. However, its solubility in oil is low compared to other compounds.

4. What factors affect the solubility of sodium salicytate?

The solubility of sodium salicytate can be affected by temperature, pH, and the presence of other substances. Higher temperatures can increase the solubility, while lower temperatures can decrease it. A more acidic or basic environment can also impact the solubility. Additionally, the presence of other substances, such as salts or acids, can affect the solubility of sodium salicytate.

5. Is there a limit to how much sodium salicytate can dissolve in a solvent?

Yes, there is a limit to the solubility of sodium salicytate in a solvent. This is known as the saturation point, where no more solute can dissolve in the solvent. The saturation point can be affected by factors such as temperature and the presence of other substances.