Is Spacetime Like Whales Displacing Water in an Ocean?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter joshk2718
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spacetime
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
joshk2718
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I answer many questions thanklessly in IT forums so thank you in advance.

I am trying to understand spacetime. My question is:

Is it right to think of spacetime like whales in an ocean. The way they displace water is the way matter and energy displace spacetime? Or am I thinking in the wrong direction?

thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WhoWee said:
Can you be a little more descriptive and specific?

I guess one example would be an orbit. Do I think of the Earth displacing spacetime to cause the moons orbit?

I guess another would be approaching the speed of light. Is it that space time is being displaced & therefore the object is slowed?

I recognize displaced it not the correct term, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around the concept & it is the best word I have at the moment.
 
joshk2718 said:
I recognize displaced it not the correct term, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around the concept & it is the best word I have at the moment.

Maybe you should try to explain your thoughts in other words. I have no idea what you mean by "displacing spacetime."