Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is specific heat capacity always ignored in Steady State

1. Aug 3, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I want to simulate a forced convection cooling problem. Air at ambient temperature is forced through a fan into a system to cool electronics and I would like to assess the temperature of the outlet air. Actually I'm interested in the delta between the ambient and outlet temperature. This will be accessed as steady state. So my question is: is the volumetric specific heat capacity of the air relevant?

I feel like it is relevant because if I run the simulation at a higher ambient temperature the volumetric specific heat capacity gets lower and therefore the delta between ambient and outlet temperature will increase, is that correct?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it's relevant.

Under steady state conditions, in a unit of time the electronics will dissipate a fixed amount of energy into a fixed amount of air increasing its temperature. How much it increases depends on the SHC of the air. So your input and output temperatures will depend on the SHC of the air.

However the SHC of air doesnt very much with temperature. Usually you can estimate the average temperature and look up the SHC of that and get reasonably accurate results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted