Is \sqrt{I} an Ideal of a Commutative Ring R?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Juanriq
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Juanriq
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Salutations!

Homework Statement

Let R be a commutative ring and let [itex]I \subseteq R[/itex] be an ideal. Show [itex]\sqrt{I}[/itex] is an ideal of R if [itex]\sqrt{I}[/itex] is [itex]f \in R[/itex] such that there exists an [itex]n \in \mathbb{N} \mbox{ such that } f^{n} \in I[/itex].



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

Pick an [itex]r \in R \mbox { and } x \in \sqrt{I}[/itex]. We want to show that [itex]xr \in \sqrt{I}[/itex]. Well, this would imply that [itex](xr)^n = x^nr^n \in I[/itex], I think this means that [itex]x^n \in I[/itex], but I am a little befuddled on how to proceed. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct.
So you still need to show that [tex]x,y\in \sqrt{I}[/tex] implies that x+y is also in the radical.
There exists n and m such that [tex]x^n\in I[/tex] and [tex]x^m\in I[/tex]. Now try to show that [tex](x+y)^{n+m}\in I[/tex].
 
Thanks micromass! So everything above is correct? I'm still not really sure how I see that [itex]xr \in \sqrt{I}[/itex] though. Is it because both [itex]r^n \mbox{ and } x^n[/itex] are in radical I? I know showing the summation will be fun... all the terms will be in the ideal I, I think and the union of a bunch of ideals is still an ideal
 
Well, since [tex]x^n\in I[/tex] (by definition, since [tex]x\in \sqrt{I}[/tex]), we got that [tex]r^nx^n\in I[/tex] (since arbitrary multiplication preserves elements in I).
 
ohhhhh-gotcha! Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm sure I'll be back later after trying the second part. Thanks again!