Is stablility a byproduct of a chemical reaction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
LogicalAcid
Messages
137
Reaction score
0
In other words, the whole point of the reaction is not to stabilize? And then, how does entropy have anything to do with a reaction?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but...

In general, the product of a chemical reaction is more stable (thermodynamically) than the starting material. Also remember that UNIVERSAL entropy is what is constantly increasing. Local entropy can decrease (condensing water, for example). But like I said, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. If you clarify maybe I can help more.
 
pzona said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but...

In general, the product of a chemical reaction is more stable (thermodynamically) than the starting material. Also remember that UNIVERSAL entropy is what is constantly increasing. Local entropy can decrease (condensing water, for example). But like I said, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. If you clarify maybe I can help more.

I second the above and add: That some reactions are driven by entropy alone.
For example the entropic explosive TATP, tri acetone tri peroxide. The rapid reaction from
a solid to gases. One of the products is acetone ! (so not thermodynamically driven)
http://en.wikipedia.org./wiki/Acetone_peroxide