Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Symmetry Limited in Geometry?

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    Given the complete classification of finite simple groups, can one say that the number of all conceivable 2D/3D symmetrical geometric objects/arrangement is limited?

Is spacial symmetry limited in our 3D world?

IH

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hello Islam Hassan and welcome to the forums.

The question that I have to ask that comes to mind is what the cardinality of the sets themselves involved in the groups you are talking about?

I don't know that much about group theory (finite or otherwise) but I do know that the sets relating to the associated groups you are referring to are going to have some kind of relation to your answer.

4. Mar 23, 2012 #3

I believe that the sets involved may be both finite and infinite; one category of finite simple group in the classification theorem are simple groups of Lie type which, if I recall correctly, can have an infinite number of elements.

IH

5. Mar 23, 2012 #4
    The answer is known for periodic structures where a "unit cell" is repeated to form an infinite 2D or 3D lattice.

The application in physics is crystallography.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook