Is the Action Always a Minimum in the Principle of Least Action?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
BookWei
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello, When we applying the principle of least action, we require ##\delta S=0##, which corresponding to the action S being an extremum. I am just wondering why do we say that the action is a minimum instead of a maximum for a physical path? Can I use the path integral to explain this problem?
Thanks for all responses.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that long ago, when Fermat's principle of least time came about, that people so liked the idea that they asked themselves why couldn't such a thing work for mechanics. The principle of least action was then made intentionally analogous to Fermat's principle. These optical considerations would then inspire others to develop wave mechanics.
 
If S is minimum , -S is maximum and anyway the both work. Stationary is more appropriate word to say.