Is The brain That Changes Itself the best book on neuroplasticity?

• Medical
  • Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Brain
In summary, the conversation revolves around the best book on neuroplasticity and how it can help with rewiring the brain. The potential of using neuroplasticity to improve brain function and treat conditions such as white spots on the brain is also discussed. A link is shared for further information and there is a mention of the conversation's popularity.
moe darklight
is "The brain That Changes Itself" the best book on neuroplasticity?

I've seen a few articles about this topic now and was wondering what the best book on the subject would be?

My goal is to rewire my brain and turn it into an NES emulator so I can play Super Mario all day! :biggrin:

Biology news on Phys.org
u mean you can't do that already? I keep jumping off those stairs but can't seem to reach the flag at the top of the pole.

Probably a new subject, i watched a documentary on neuroplasticity and I am interested in knowing if the science would help me with white spots on the brain? I live near Toronto and would love to hear from anyone that has experience with neuroplasticity.

Mo, Nero, Brian,

You might want to put your trolling rods down and have a look over https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=422276", then decide for yourselves if you think that book is good or not.
Funny how this thread with no input got almost 1900 hits...

Rhody... :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot definitively say if "The Brain That Changes Itself" is the best book on neuroplasticity as it is subjective and dependent on individual preferences. However, it is a highly acclaimed and well-researched book that presents a comprehensive understanding of neuroplasticity and its potential for brain rewiring. It has been praised for its engaging writing style and ability to make complex scientific concepts accessible to the general audience. I would recommend reading this book as a starting point for understanding neuroplasticity and exploring other resources as well. As for your goal of turning your brain into an NES emulator, while neuroplasticity can facilitate changes in the brain, it is important to note that it cannot completely alter its functions and capabilities. It is important to have realistic expectations and to consult with a professional before attempting to make any drastic changes to your brain.

1. What is neuroplasticity?

Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to change and reorganize itself throughout a person's life. This includes forming new neural connections and pathways, as well as strengthening or weakening existing ones.

2. What does "The Brain That Changes Itself" cover?

"The Brain That Changes Itself" is a book written by Dr. Norman Doidge that explores the concept of neuroplasticity and its implications for our understanding of the brain. It covers various case studies and research on the brain's ability to adapt and change, as well as practical applications for enhancing brain function.

3. Is "The Brain That Changes Itself" the best book on neuroplasticity?

This is subjective and depends on individual preferences. However, the book is highly praised for its clear explanations and engaging storytelling, making it a popular choice among readers interested in neuroplasticity.

4. Can reading this book help improve brain function?

While reading the book itself may not directly improve brain function, it can provide valuable insights and knowledge about the brain's ability to change and adapt. This can inspire individuals to actively engage in activities and practices that promote neuroplasticity, thus potentially leading to improved brain function.

5. Is "The Brain That Changes Itself" suitable for non-scientists?

Yes, the book is written in a way that is accessible to those without a scientific background. It uses relatable examples and avoids technical jargon, making it an engaging read for anyone interested in learning about neuroplasticity.