Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the following true about sups and infs?

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    I am trying to determine whether the following is true.

Let [itex]A\subset \mathbb R[/itex], and let [itex]|A| = \{|a|:a\in A\}[/itex]. Then [itex]\sup |A| = \max \{|\inf A|, |\sup A|\}[/itex].

I think I could figure this out on my own, but there is something else demanding my attention right now...so, hopefully this isn't too tough. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Seems true... But it still needs to be proven. How would you begin such a proof?

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    I'm on the phone now, but I can't help but read this :p

I think, show different cases: if |inf A| < |sup A|, show that that sup|A| = |sup A|; etc.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  5. Aug 16, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First note that, for any a in A, [itex]inf(A)\le a\le sup(A)[/itex] so that [itex]|a|\le max(|sup(A)|, |inf(A)|)[/itex] so that "max(|sup(A)|, |min(A)|)" is an upper bound. Now, to show it is the least upper bound, show that there must be a in A such that |a| is arbitrarily close to either |sup(A)| or |inf(A)|, whichever is larger.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook