1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sup. and Lim. Sup. are Measurable Functions

1. Nov 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a sequence ##\{f_n\}## of measurable functions with common domain ##E##, show that the following functions are measurable: ##\inf \{f_n\}##, ##\sup \{f_n\}##, ##\lim \inf \{f_n\}##, and ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

It suffices to show that ##\sup \{f_n\}## and ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}## are measurable, since the negative of a measurable function is measurable and ##\inf \{f_n\} = - \sup \{-f_n\}## and ##\lim \inf \{f_n\} = - \lim \sup \{-f_n\}##. First we show that ##h(x) := \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## is measurable. Define the function ##g_n(x) = \max \{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \}## which is measurable for every ##n##. First note that ##\{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \} \subseteq \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## and therefore ##\max \{f_1(x),...,f_n(x) \} \le \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \in \Bbb{N} \}## or ##h(x) -g_n(x) \ge 0## for every ##n \in \Bbb{N}##. Let ##x \in E## and ##\epsilon > 0## be arbitrary. Then there exists an ##N \in \Bbb{N}## such that ##h(x) < f_N(x) + \epsilon##. And if ##n \ge N##, then ##g_n(x) \ge f_N(x)## or ##g_n(x) + \epsilon \ge f_N(x) + \epsilon > h(x)## or ##|h(x) - g_n(x)| < \epsilon##. This proves that ##g_n## converges pointwise to ##h##, which means that ##h## is measurable.

To see that ##\lim \sup \{f_n\}## is a measurable function, recall that for each it is defined as ##\lim_{n \infty} \sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \ge n \}## which is by definition the pointwise limit of the sequence ##(\sup \{f_k(x) \mid k \ge n \})_{n \in \Bbb{N}}## of measurable functions.

Does this seem right? I solved the problem and then did a google search to find a solution. I found a couple, but proofs were slightly different from what I came up with, so I just wanted to have my solution verified.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have used the result that
    $$f_1, f_2 \; \text{measurable} \Rightarrow \; \max \{ f_1, f_2 \} \; \text{is measurable} . $$
    Do you have a proof of this, or is it one of the known results you are employing?

4. Nov 27, 2017 #3
    Yes, I have proved this already.

5. Nov 27, 2017 #4

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

You use for both cases, that the limit of measurable functions is measurable. Why is it? (#2 of the template is a bit empty!)

6. Nov 27, 2017 #5
    Well. I didn't include that because I figured that it is a standard result.

7. Nov 27, 2017 #6

fresh_42

2017 Award

In my book, it is proven by the result you want to prove. So order is important here!

8. Nov 27, 2017 #7
    Ah! I see. What book are you referencing? By the way, given that that result has been proven, does my proof seem right?

9. Nov 27, 2017 #8

fresh_42

2017 Award

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted