Is the Frictional Force on a Sloped Block Greater Than Its Weight?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1Deag4Days
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Block Rest Slope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
1Deag4Days
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A block is at rest on a rough incline .
The frictional force acting on the block, along the incline, is
A) greater than the weight of the block.
B) equal to the weight of the block.
C) zero.
D) less than the weight of the block.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



The frictional force should be equal to the Weight along the slope so MG/sin(theta) so shouldn't the frictional force be greater than the weight of the block?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The weight along the slope is greater than the total weight?

How do you get MG/sin(theta)? That would imply, as the angle theta goes to zero, the weight along the slope goes to infinity. Is that reasonable?
 
I know I'm doing something wrong but i don't know what
 
Attachments
  • physics.png
    physics.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 584
Nvm I got it I was decomposing my gravitational force vector incorrectly