Is the Incompleteness Theorem a Limitation of Human Consciousness?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter imjustcurious
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
imjustcurious
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
One of Godels Incompleteness Theorems says that a system cannot demonstrate its own consistency. This made me question human consciousness. We can say we are real, so does that make us incomplete?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The incompleteness theorem is a technical result with certain technical conditions and technical conclusions. It is not at all clear that those conditions are met in the real world. And I don't know what "we are incomplete" even means in this case.
 
micromass said:
And I don't know what "we are incomplete" even means in this case.
Honestly, I don't know either lol.
 
The incompleteness theorem applies to any axiomatic logic system that is capable of doing arithmetic. So it definitely applies to the real world. Interpreting it in the real world is difficult.