Is the Klein Four Group Identical to the Dihedral Group D2?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Klein
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
3,372
Reaction score
465
Can someone please read the attached file and tell me his ideas? I want to be sure I understand the action of the Klein Four group...Is my interpretation correct?

I have some problem though. The Klein Four group has 4 elements, and it is able to describe the reflective symmetries of a square (as I interpreted it).
The dihedral group however, $D_2$ for example should be the same group right? (if I see the one $Z_2$ of the KF group as a cyclic group and the other $Z_2$ are reflection). $D_2$ however does not describe a square...
 
Attachments
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 604
Physics news on Phys.org
That should be easy to work out from the definition of dihedral group D(n): generators a and b with
an = b2 = e
a.b = b.a-1

Note what happens when n = 2. What is a-1 in that case?
 
Hi,

How is it connected to the dihedral group?

Because the D(2) is of order 4, and since it's not cyclic C(4) it has to be (at least isomorphic to) the Klein Four group?

[itex]D_2 = (e , a, b, ab)[/itex]
and [itex]a^2=e \Rightarrow a^{-1}=a[/itex]
So I wonder for n=2, there is no distinction between rotations and reflections (rotations are done by 180o)
 
I'll work out D2 or Dih(2). It has
a2 = b2 = e
a.b = b.a-1
But from the definition of a, a-1 = a, and thus, a.b = b.a. Thus, all the group's elements commute with each other.

The n = 2 rotation and reflection elements:
  • Identity
  • 180d rotation
  • Two reflections
They all commute with each other.

Rotation: $$ \begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & - \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & \cos \theta \end{pmatrix} $$
Reflection: $$ \begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & \sin \theta \\ \sin \theta & - \cos \theta \end{pmatrix} $$
where θ is the rotation angle. For D2, it is 0 and 180d. In general, ## \theta_{rot}(k) = 2\pi k / n ## and
## \theta_{refl}(k) = \theta_0 + 2\pi k / n ## for k = 0, 1, ..., n-1, where θ0 is arbitrary.