Is the Maximum Always the Same as the Supremum in an Open Interval?

In summary: Even better, it is between x and 4. Hall's point is that any number x you might use for the maximum has to be in the interval so it is less than 4. Yet (x+4)/2 is in the interval and greater than x. So...?
hammonjj

Homework Statement

For each subset of ℝ, give its supremum and maximum, if they exist. Otherwise, write none.

Homework Equations

d) (0,4)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part d, if the problem were [0,4], both the supremum and maximum would be 4, since the interval includes the end points, but I'm not sure about when it doesn't. It seems to me that the supremum would still be 4, as that qualifies as a least upper bound because 4 is in the neighborhood of the set, but is the maximum also 4? I don't think it would be since the interval does not include end points, but I'm confused!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hammonjj said:

Homework Statement

For each subset of ℝ, give its supremum and maximum, if they exist. Otherwise, write none.

Homework Equations

d) (0,4)

The Attempt at a Solution

For part d, if the problem were [0,4], both the supremum and maximum would be 4, since the interval includes the end points, but I'm not sure about when it doesn't. It seems to me that the supremum would still be 4, as that qualifies as a least upper bound because 4 is in the neighborhood of the set, but is the maximum also 4? I don't think it would be since the interval does not include end points, but I'm confused!

Thanks!

You aren't too confused. You are correct that the max is not 4. Does the max even exist?

LCKurtz said:
You aren't too confused. You are correct that the max is not 4. Does the max even exist?

I think it does, but I don't know what to call it. Since my interval is a subset of the real numbers, there's some x=4-ε, where x is the maximum and ε is some tiny interval that, when subtracted from 4, gives you the maximum of the set.

Am I making this too complicated? Does the max have to be some integer?

hammonjj said:
I think it does, but I don't know what to call it. Since my interval is a subset of the real numbers, there's some x=4-ε, where x is the maximum and ε is some tiny interval that, when subtracted from 4, gives you the maximum of the set.

Am I making this too complicated? Does the max have to be some integer?
No, you are not making it too complicated, nor does the maximum have to be an integer. However, what you are saying, "there's some x=4-ε, where x is the maximum and ε is some tiny interval that, when subtracted from 4, gives you the maximum of the set" is wrong. The maximum of a set is, by definition the largest number in that set. If the set were "[0, 4]" or "(0, 4]" then the maximum would be 4. But (0, 4) is the set of all numbers larger than 0 and less than 4. If "x" is in that set, what could you say about (x+ 4)/2?

HallsofIvy said:
No, you are not making it too complicated, nor does the maximum have to be an integer. However, what you are saying, "there's some x=4-ε, where x is the maximum and ε is some tiny interval that, when subtracted from 4, gives you the maximum of the set" is wrong. The maximum of a set is, by definition the largest number in that set. If the set were "[0, 4]" or "(0, 4]" then the maximum would be 4. But (0, 4) is the set of all numbers larger than 0 and less than 4. If "x" is in that set, what could you say about (x+ 4)/2?

Since x is in the interval (0,4), that is x is less than 4, (x+4)/2 is in that interval.

HallsofIvy said:

hammonjj said:
Since x is in the interval (0,4), that is x is less than 4, (x+4)/2 is in that interval.

Even better, it is between x and 4. Hall's point is that any number x you might use for the maximum has to be in the interval so it is less than 4. Yet (x+4)/2 is in the interval and greater than x. So...?

What is the difference between supremum and maximum?

The supremum of a set is the smallest upper bound, whereas the maximum is the largest element in the set. In other words, the supremum may or may not be an element in the set, while the maximum must be an element in the set.

How do you find the supremum and maximum of a set?

To find the supremum and maximum of a set, you must first find the upper bounds of the set. The supremum will be the smallest of these upper bounds, while the maximum will be the largest element in the set. For a finite set, you can simply compare each element to find the maximum. For an infinite set, you may need to use calculus or other mathematical tools to determine the supremum.

What is a bounded set?

A bounded set is a set that has both an upper bound and a lower bound. In other words, all elements in the set fall between these two bounds. A set that is not bounded is called an unbounded set.

Can a set have multiple supremums or maximums?

No, a set can only have one supremum and one maximum. This is because the supremum and maximum are unique and defined by the properties of the set.

What is the importance of finding the supremum and maximum of a set?

Finding the supremum and maximum of a set allows us to understand the properties and limits of the set. It is also useful in various mathematical proofs and calculations. In real-world applications, finding the supremum and maximum can help us make decisions and optimize our resources.