Is the Offset Fed Satellite Dish on the Police Station Safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter phys86
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Antenna Type
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
phys86
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Hello everyone,
for health reason, I just need to know from you what kind of antenna is the one in the photo attached, if it is a receiver or a transmitter and if it is safe enough.

I will have to move on the first floor of a house right under that building (which is a police station if it can be useful to know) and I am a bit concerned. Many thanks.
 
Attachments
  • antenna.png
    antenna.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 611
Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Those appear to be VHF radio antennas of the type used by fire, police, pilots and taxi drivers.

I never heard of a health hazard associated with VHF radio antennas. I would not worry.
 
And on the first floor of the building below the antennas, you are out of the transmit antenna pattern anyway. There is very little RF energy below vertical antennas like that. :smile:
 
Thanks to both of you, so I guess I shouldn't worry.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Just in case, this is an other view, with the house and the police station with the antenna.
 
Attachments
  • view.png
    view.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 566
phys86 said:
Just in case, this is an other view, with the house and the police station with the antenna.
You are still well below the main Tx pattern, and are pretty far away. I wouldn't worry about it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
berkeman said:
You are still well below the main Tx pattern, and are pretty far away. I wouldn't worry about it.
That's good to know, thanks again.
 
What is the dish antenna, aimed horizontally, in the planter at the front of the house? Not many satellites viewable in that direction!
 
Tom.G said:
What is the dish antenna, aimed horizontally, in the planter at the front of the house? Not many satellites viewable in that direction!
Looks like a hummingbird director. Or reflector, it's hard to tell.

Or staging for the rubbish collectors. Maybe he didn't pay his bill...
 
Tom.G said:
What is the dish antenna, aimed horizontally, in the planter at the front of the house? Not many satellites viewable in that direction!

you may not be familiar with offset feeds ?

berkeman said:
Looks like a hummingbird director. Or reflector, it's hard to tell.

It's an offset fed satellite dish. The beam direction with the current mount would be up over that blue wall

dish.JPG


if you notice, the arm out to the feed point is near horizontal (maybe a few deg above the horiz.), this means the beam angle will be a good few degrees above the horizontal

in this pic is yours truly repurposing an offset fed sat dish for use on the 10GHz ham band
NOTE the angle of the feed boom … it is angled down from the horizontal and as a result the radiated signal is beaming out at a horizontal angle

091002-IMG_2226 Dave and Paul at La Perousesm.jpg

Dave
 
Attachments
  • dish.JPG
    dish.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 487
  • 091002-IMG_2226 Dave and Paul at La Perousesm.jpg
    091002-IMG_2226 Dave and Paul at La Perousesm.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: TechTree, dlgoff, Tom.G and 1 other person