Is the sign in this integral correct?

In summary: Can you evaluate this new integral of sine?In summary, The conversation discusses various formulas involving integrals and their corresponding functions, such as sine and cosine integrals. It is mentioned that the sign of a in the formula \int_0^{\infty}\frac{sin(ax)}{x}\,dx=\frac{\pi}{2}\text{sign} a refers to the sign of a, and the resulting value of the integral depends on the sign of a. The conversation then moves on to discussing a similar formula for cosine and its corresponding integral function, but with a variable \beta. It is noted that for \beta=0, the resulting integral value is -ci(0), which is equal to -\infty.
EngWiPy
In the table of integral, there is this formula

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{sin(ax)}{x}\,dx=\frac{\pi}{2}\text{sign} a[/tex]

is sign a here is literally the sign of a, or it means something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
EngWiPy said:
In the table of integral, there is this formula

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{sin(ax)}{x}\,dx=\frac{\pi}{2}\text{sign} a[/tex]

is sign a here is literally the sign of a, or it means something else?
Yes, it means the sign of a. ##\text{sign}(a)## and equals +1 if a > 0 and -1 if a < 0. So the integral above equals ##\pi/2## if a > 0, and ##-\pi/2## if a < 0.

Likes EngWiPy
Mark44 said:
Yes, it means the sign of a. ##\text{sign}(a)## and equals +1 if a > 0 and -1 if a < 0. So the integral above equals ##\pi/2## if a > 0, and ##-\pi/2## if a < 0.

Thanks. I was looking for something similar but for cosine, and I found this

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{cos(ax)}{x+\beta}\,dx=-sin(a\beta)si(a\beta)-cos(a\beta)ci(a\beta)[/tex]

where ##si(.)## and ##ci(.)## are the sine and cosine integrals, respectively. However, I want this for ##\beta=0##, which results in ##-ci(0)##. I am not sure, but it seems the result of this is ##-\infty##. Does this mean that ##cos(x)/x## is not integrable over ##[0, \infty)##?

EngWiPy said:
Thanks. I was looking for something similar but for cosine, and I found this

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{cos(ax)}{x+\beta}\,dx=-sin(a\beta)si(a\beta)-cos(a\beta)ci(a\beta)[/tex]

where ##si(.)## and ##ci(.)## are the sine and cosine integrals, respectively. However, I want this for ##\beta=0##, which results in ##-ci(0)##. I am not sure, but it seems the result of this is ##-\infty##. Does this mean that ##cos(x)/x## is not integrable over ##[0, \infty)##?
Right, because the graph of ##y = \frac{\cos(x)} x## has a non-removable discontinuity at 0, unlike the graph of ##y = \frac{\sin(x)} x##, which has a removable discontinuity that doesn't affect the integral.

From the graph here, ##Ci(0)## appears to be ##-\infty##, so I think you have an incorrect sign.

Thanks. Yes, right ##ci(0)=-\infty## not ##-ci(0)##. So, I cannot evaluate this integration? The original integration that I want to evaluate is

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\frac{e^{-jtx}}{t}\,dt[/tex]

where ##j=\sqrt{-1}##. Can I evaluate it in another way?

Ahlfors notes that using residues and some limit considerations, the Cauchy principal value of [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{jt}}{t}dt [/itex] is [itex]j\pi [/itex]. I would suggest substituting [itex]u=x\cdot t [/itex] in your integral and see where it leads.

Svein said:
Ahlfors notes that using residues and some limit considerations, the Cauchy principal value of [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{jt}}{t}dt [/itex] is [itex]j\pi [/itex]. I would suggest substituting [itex]u=x\cdot t [/itex] in your integral and see where it leads.

Thanks, but what about the integration limits? In my case. the lower limit is ##0## and not ##-\infty##. Even after the change of variables, the limits remains the same.

EngWiPy said:
Thanks, but what about the integration limits? In my case. the lower limit is ##0## and not ##-\infty##. Even after the change of variables, the limits remains the same.
I haven't calculated the answer, just presented a tip. Next tip: split the integral in the middle and substitute -u for u in the negative part.

Svein said:
I haven't calculated the answer, just presented a tip. Next tip: split the integral in the middle and substitute -u for u in the negative part.

In my case, the exponent is negative, not just the limits. So, if I assume that ##u=-t##, I get the following integral:

[tex]-\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{e^{-ju}}{u}\,du = -\int_{-\infty}^0\frac{e^{-ju}}{u}\,du -\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{-ju}}{u}\,du = j\pi[/tex]

I am interested in ##\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{-ju}}{u}\,du = -\int_{-\infty}^0\frac{e^{-ju}}{u}\,du -j\pi##, but then how to evaluate the integral in the RHS. It is the same problem as before.

I know that you may still not be satisfied, but [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{0}\frac{e^{-ju}}{u}du=\int_{\infty}^{0}\frac{e^{ju}}{u}du=-\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{ju}}{u}du [/itex]. Add the two integrals: [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{-ju}}{u}du-\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{e^{ju}}{u}du=2\cdot j \int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\sin(u)}{u}du [/itex].

1. Is the sign in the integral supposed to be positive or negative?

The sign in an integral depends on the direction of integration. If the integral is in the form of ∫f(x)dx, then the sign will be positive if the integration is from left to right (increasing values of x) and negative if the integration is from right to left (decreasing values of x).

2. How can I tell if I need to change the sign in the integral?

You may need to change the sign in the integral if you are integrating over a closed loop or a closed surface in a vector field. In this case, the direction of integration may change and you will need to adjust the sign accordingly.

3. Can I simply ignore the sign in the integral?

No, the sign in the integral is important and cannot be ignored. It affects the final value of the integral and can lead to incorrect results if not taken into account.

4. What should I do if I am unsure about the sign in the integral?

If you are unsure about the sign in the integral, you can use the method of substitution to change the variable of integration and make the sign more clear. You can also consult a textbook or seek help from a colleague or professor.

5. Are there any general rules for determining the sign in an integral?

Yes, there are some general rules for determining the sign in an integral. For example, integrals involving odd functions will have a negative sign and those involving even functions will have a positive sign. Also, if you are integrating a function over a region with reversed orientation (e.g. clockwise instead of counterclockwise), the sign will be negative.