Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the signature of this matrix zero?

1. Jun 4, 2012 #1

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Given are two square matrices of the same dimension, M and N.

M is symmetric. N is non singular.

From M and N form the symmetric matrix,

M N
    N* 0

Where N* is the transpose of N.

Is the signature of this matrix necessarily zero? Counterexample?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My "engineer's intuition" says it is true, if you think about finding the extrema of x*Mx subject to the constraints Nx = 0, using Lagrange multipliers. The situations where this runs into trouble are when the constraints are not all independent, but that is excluded because N is non-singular.

Basically, each eigenvalue of M is turned into a pair of eigenvalues of the augmented matrix, one positive and one negative.

But my brain isn't working well enough to turn that idea into a proof right now - sorry!

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3
    I think a topological argument works here.

If you continuously deform such a matrix (within the constraints you mentioned), then the signature cannot change without an eigenvalue crossing 0. But that cannot happen without the determinant being zero. But such a matrix cannot have zero determinant because its rows are independent. In other words, the signature cannot change under a continuous deformation that maintains the given constraints on M and N.

Every symmetric matrix can be continuously deformed to 0 (by scaling it down to 0). And GL(n) only has two connected components, so each non-singular matrix can be deformed to I or I' (which is I with one entry flipped to -1). So it suffices to check M=0, N=I, and M=0,N=I'.

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Pick for instance M=(0) and N=(1).

Determinant=-1
    Trace=0
    Eigenvalues are +1 and -1.

6. Jun 6, 2012 #5

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very cool argument. It took me a while to get it.

I am going to try to generalize this to the matrix

M T 0
    T* M N
    0 N 0

where the conclusion now - I think - would be that the signature is this matrix is the signature of M. Can I just shrink T to zero?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  7. Jun 6, 2012 #6

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the approach I have tried - more or less. I get a system of quadratic equations.

8. Jun 6, 2012 #7

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If T is shrunk towards zero the the matrix becomes singular only if M is singular so your proof goes through.

9. Jun 6, 2012 #8
    Lets see... The determinant of this matrix will equal [itex] (-1)^n(\det M) (\det N)^2[/itex], where n is the block size. If M is non-singular, the determinant is never zero, so no signature changes could happen by shrinking T down to zero.

If M is singular, the conclusion still sounds plausible, but I'm not sure whether the same proof could be adapted.

10. Jun 9, 2012 #9

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If M is diagonal then T can be shrunk to zero in the plane of non-zero eigen values.

Choose a basis of eigen vectors for the copy of M that is in the upper left corner of the matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook