Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the Spin Orbit Hamiltonian really Hermitian?

1. Jun 5, 2013 #1
    The regular spin orbit Hamiltonian is

[tex]H_{SO} = \frac{q\hbar}{4 m^2 c^2}\sigma\cdot(\textbf{E}\times \textbf{p})[/tex]

If I consider a 2D system where E = E(x,y) and p is treated as an operator, i.e. [itex]\hat{p} = \hat{i}p_x + \hat{j}p_y[/itex] then, clearly E and p do not commute, so this doesn't look like a Hermitian operator.

Shouldn't this be added to its Hermitian adjoint (and divided by 2) to get a Hermitian Hamiltonian?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2013 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The spin-orbit Hamiltonian is usually written ξ(r) L·S where ξ(r) = (1/2m2c2r) dV/dr.

Note that since V(r) is spherically symmetric, ξ(r) and L commute, so the whole thing is Hermitian.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3
    But what if I want to look at the Spin Orbit Coupling in a system due to an external electric field, which may not be spherically symmetrical?

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

I think E x p is Hermitian as long as E = ∇V, isn't it? That's basically crossing ∇ with itself.

6. Jun 5, 2013 #5
    Well, if my position ket is of the form [itex]|x;y\rangle[/tex], and I am representing them on a rectangular grid (discrete representation)

[tex]\langle x_1;y_1|E_y(x,y) p_x|x_2;y_2\rangle = \sum_{x'',y''}\langle x_1;y_1|E_y(x,y)|x'';y''\rangle \langle x'';y''|p_x|x_2;y_2\rangle[/tex]

Now,

[tex]\langle x_1;y_1|E_y(x,y)|x'';y''\rangle = E_y(x_1,y_1)\delta_{x_1,x''}\delta_{y_1,y''}[/tex]

and

[tex]\langle x'';y''|p_x|x_2;y_2\rangle = -i\hbar\langle x'';y''|\left[\frac{|x_2 + a_x;y_2\rangle - |x_2-a_x;y_2\rangle}{2 a_x}\right][/tex]

The problem is... where you evaluate E_y -- at the location specified by the bra or the ket?

7. Jun 6, 2013 #6

DrDu

Science Advisor

8. Jun 6, 2013 #7
    Can you please elaborate on that? I am trying to use this Hamiltonian with an external electric field E, in a quantum transport problem. Is it inapplicable there?

Would the correct prescription be to use 0.5(this + h.c.) where h.c. denotes the Hermitian adjoint of this operator?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook