Is the union of intervals (−1/n, (n+1)/n) open or closed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spriteling
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Spriteling
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Take X = [tex]\Re[/tex] with the metric d(x,y) = |x-y|.

Let A = [tex]\bigcup^{\infty}_{n=1} \left( \frac{-1}{n},\frac{n+1}{n} \right)[/tex]

Determine whether this set is open or closed.

Homework Equations



The intersection of a finite number of open subsets of X is open.

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I am pretty sure that it's open, as it seems like the intersection goes to (0,1) as n goes to infinity. However, I'm unsure because it's an infinite intersection, and the rule only applies to finite intersections...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
0 isn't in the open interval (0,1). Is it in the intersection?
 
Last edited:
Well, as n goes to infinity, -1/n goes to 0, and it's approaching 0 from below. So I would say that yes, it is in the intersection...meaning that the intersection is going to be [0,1] rather than (0,1), meaning that it's closed. Is that correct?
 
Spriteling said:
Well, as n goes to infinity, -1/n goes to 0, and it's approaching 0 from below. So I would say that yes, it is in the intersection...meaning that the intersection is going to be [0,1] rather than (0,1), meaning that it's closed. Is that correct?

That would be correct. The intersection of an infinite number of open sets is not necessarily open.
 
Yeah, I knew that it was only open for sure if it was a finite intersection.

Thank you for the hint!
 
Spriteling said:

Homework Statement



Take X = [tex]\Re[/tex] with the metric d(x,y) = |x-y|.

Let A = [tex]\bigcup^{\infty}_{n=1} \left( \frac{-1}{n},\frac{n+1}{n} \right)[/tex]

Determine whether this set is open or closed.

Homework Equations



The intersection of a finite number of open subsets of X is open.

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I am pretty sure that it's open, as it seems like the intersection goes to (0,1) as n goes to infinity. However, I'm unsure because it's an infinite intersection, and the rule only applies to finite intersections...

What you have posted is an infinite union, not an infinite intersection.

[tex]\bigcup^{\infty}_{n=1} \left( \frac{-1}{n},\frac{n+1}{n} \right)=(-1,\,2)\cup(-1/2,\,3/2)\cup(-1/3,\,4/3)\cup\dots=(-1,\,2)[/tex]

Did you mean to post the following instead?

[tex]\text{A}=\bigcap^{\infty}_{n=1} \left( \frac{-1}{n},\frac{n+1}{n} \right)[/tex]

This infinite intersection is not the same as (0, 1). ‒1/n < 0 < (n+1)/n for all positive integers, n. So, 0 is in the infinite intersection. Similarly, 1 is also in this intersection.