Determine if a Set is Open or Closed

• Thread starter hammonjj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Closed Set
In summary: I did this stuff...In summary, the sets in question are a) closed, b) closed, c) neither open nor closed, d) neither open nor closed, e) closed, and f) open. The reasoning behind each of these classifications is as follows: a) While the natural numbers are closed, the set in question is not necessarily closed as it does not contain all of its limit points. b) The natural numbers are closed as every neighborhood contains only natural numbers, making each natural number both an interior and boundary point. c) Since Q contains both its boundary and non-boundary points, it is neither open nor closed. d) The set (0, 1/n) is not closed
hammonjj

Homework Statement

Determine each of the following sets as open, closed, neither or both.
a) {1/n : n [itex]\in[/itex] [itex]N[/itex] }

b) [itex]N[/itex]

c) [itex]Q[/itex]

d) [itex]\bigcap[/itex][itex]^{∞}[/itex][itex]_{n=1}[/itex](0,1/n)

e) {x: |x-5|[itex]\leq[/itex] 1/2

f) {x: x^2>0}

Homework Equations

Open sets are sets that do not contain their boundary points. Closed sets contain their boundary points. Also, the compliment of an open set is closed and the compliment of a closed set is open.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Closed because the natural numbers are closed.

b) Naturals are closed because each neighborhood contains only the Natural number (ie. the natural number is both the interior and boundary point)

c) Q is neither open nor closed.

d) (0,1/n) is closed for the same reasons as part a and the intersection of any number of closed sets is closed.

e) Closed because +/- of 1/2 is contained within the interval.

f) Not sure, 0 is not in the interval because x^2 is strictly greater than 0, but the set continues on to infinity. Does that make the interval open because you can't make a neighborhood around infinity?

Thanks a bunch for the help on this! We're just getting into topology of the Reals and I want to make sure I've got this right before I move on to some of the more complicated proofs.

Physics news on Phys.org
with these questions you need to be careful with terminology and some definitions... In particular you need to be clear which "universe" you're working in, so I assume you're asking which of these sets is closed in the set R? (correct me if I'm wrong..)

a) the fact the natural numbers are closed in does not imply this set is closed. Consider an open neighbourhood of the origin...
b) true for any neighbourhood with r<1
c) do you need to explain this?
d) (0,1/n) is not a closed set, so I don't think your argument quite holds up. Try and have a think about the limiting behavior... what points are left in the intersection?
e) +-1/2 isn't in that interval, but 4.5 and 5.5 are
f) i think so, but its been a while

Last edited:

What is the definition of an open set?

An open set is a set in which every point has a neighborhood contained within the set.

What is the definition of a closed set?

A closed set is a set that contains all of its limit points.

What is the difference between an open set and a closed set?

The main difference between an open set and a closed set is that an open set does not contain its boundary points, while a closed set contains all of its boundary points.

How do you determine if a set is open or closed?

To determine if a set is open or closed, you can check if all of its points have a neighborhood contained within the set. If they do, then the set is open. If not, then the set is closed.

Can a set be both open and closed?

No, a set cannot be both open and closed at the same time. A set can only be either open or closed, or it can be neither.