1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does {1/n} n=1 to infinity converge? Why or why not? in a topological space

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    hi,
    can someone please help me with this problem.

Let T be the collection of all U subset R such that U is open using the usual
    metric on R.Then (R; T ) is a topological space. The topology T could also be described as
    all subsets U of R such that using the usual metric on R, R \ U is closed and
    bounded.

Does {1/n} n=1 to infinity converge? Why or why not?

I think it does converge...it converges to 1 for example...am I right?

Does {n} n=1 to infinity converge? Why or why not?

I dont think that this sequence converges in a topological space?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Does there exist an [itex]N \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that the open neighborhood [itex](\frac{1}{2},\frac{3}{2})[/itex] of [itex]1[/itex] contains [itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex] for all [itex]N<n[/itex]?

You should say "I don't think that this sequence converges in the usual topology on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]" to be more accurate. But you got this one right. Now can you prove it?

4. Apr 1, 2012 #3
    thank you so much....

It seems like I wrote everything wrong, for the second sequence that's what I meant to say, and I've already proved it.

for the first sequence, it converges to 0 in usual topology and this is what I have so far...

For every open U s.t. 0 is in U, there exist N such that for all n > N, 1/n is in U

Assume 0 is in U where U is open in usual topology then there is a s> 0 s.t. (1-s, 1+s) is subset of U
    So,

1-s < 1/n
    n < 1/( 1-s)

5. Apr 1, 2012 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Given that you wrote the first part wrong, I am going to ask you to rewrite this argument carefully before I give you more help.

6. Apr 1, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you think to write out at least part of sequence? Taking n= 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, gives
    1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5. You think that is getting closer to 1?

7. Apr 1, 2012 #6
    It was mistake, which I corrected later...it converges to 0 not 1.

8. Apr 1, 2012 #7

jgens

Gold Member

Right. But you still have not provided a correct proof that the sequence converges to 0.

9. Apr 2, 2012 #8
    agree, I"ll be working on it today...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook