Proving the Union of Intervals is All of N

  • Thread starter Thread starter fk378
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    intervals Union
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
fk378
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that the union of intervals [1,n] from n=1 to n=infinity is all of N.

The Attempt at a Solution



Do I use induction on this? Archimedes? (This question is before the section of Archimedes though). I need help on how to start it!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Counterexample:
3/2 is in the union, because it is in [1, n] for, for example, n = 2. But 3/2 is not a natural number.

Did you mean: "prove that the union contains N"?
 
I mean that the union of all those intervals from 1 to infinity IS N.
 
Since that seems to be false, let's go back a step.
Do you also use the definitions
[tex][1, n] = \{ x \in \mathbb R \mid 1 \le x \le n \}[/tex]
(for [itex]n \ge 1[/itex]) and
[tex]N = \{ 1, 2, 3, 4, \ldots \}[/tex]?