Is there a Development of "Average Algebra"?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: This rule does not hold in general. In summary, There is a rule for adding fractions in a specific context, where the sum is given by (a+c)/(b+d). This has been used in various fields such as genetics and baseball, but it is not always applicable and can lead to paradoxes. The rule is called the mediant of two rational numbers, but it is not monotonic and thus cannot be applied in all cases.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All, wondering if this below has been developed already:
There is a context in which adding fractions by the rule : a/b + c/d = (a+c)/(b+d) : say we are considering

the grade in a course where a lot of exams are administered, and the total is considered over, say 1000. Then, if we get 90/100 in one quiz and 47/50 , the total average so far is given by (90+47)/(100+50) , not the standard way of adding fractions. Just curious if there is some known structure in Mathematics using this as an operation.
Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Given this rule we get a/b + a/b = (a+a)/(b+b) = 2a/2b = a/b which isn't possible for a ≠ 0. One has to build a whole new arithmetic and I doubt that this can be done without contradictions.

fresh_42 said:
Given this rule we get a/b + a/b = (a+a)/(b+b) = 2a/2b = a/b which isn't possible for a ≠ 0. One has to build a whole new arithmetic and I doubt that this can be done without contradictions.
But you don't necessarily simplify by common factors here, because you lose information. This property would tell you that the average of two of the same ratio is the ratio. If you have 15/20 in an exam, this is not quite the same as 3/4. So we could define a/b -c/d as (a-b)/(c-d). But yes, this simplification issue needs to be addressed.

Interestingly, I think 0 here would be 0/0 : 0 successes in 0 trials means that the success ratio has not changed. Then 0/0 makes sense in this context, but a/0 for a>0 does not. I don't have the whole thing figured out yet, clearly.

WWGD said:
But you don't necessarily simplify by common factors here, because you lose information. This property would tell you that the average of two of the same ratio is the ratio.
But this is essentially what the ordinary arithmetic mean does: ## \frac{\frac{a}{b} + \frac{a}{b}}{2} = \frac{a}{b}##

One certainly has to begin at the start: which elements are considered, which operations with which rules are allowed. I think a neutral notation like a circle instead of the plus sign would help to distinguish between known operations in ℚ and the new one, for otherwise there will be too much confusion. E.g. algebras are defined in every thinkable way. I have to look it up but in genetics they use some funny algebras, multiplication rules, resp. These might come close to your rule.

(I once met some analysts who (seriously) wanted to apply your rule on their index calculations based on market capitalization.)

Numberphile has actually made a video on this

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Hi All, wondering if this below has been developed already:
There is a context in which adding fractions by the rule : a/b + c/d = (a+c)/(b+d) : say we are considering

the grade in a course where a lot of exams are administered, and the total is considered over, say 1000. Then, if we get 90/100 in one quiz and 47/50 , the total average so far is given by (90+47)/(100+50) , not the standard way of adding fractions. Just curious if there is some known structure in Mathematics using this as an operation.
Thanks.
Another context is "baseball arithmetic." A player who has 3 hits for 5 times at bat in one game has a batting average for that game of 3/5 (normally presented as .600). If he gets 1 hit out of 4 "at bats" in the next game (1/4 or .250), his average for the two games is 4/9 (= .444), calculated as ##\frac{3 + 1}{5 + 4}##.

WWGD said:
Just curious if there is some known structure in Mathematics using this as an operation.
Thanks.

It's called the mediant of two rational numbers. But it is not monotonic leading to the Simpson[/PLAIN] paradox: we can find ##\frac{a}{b} < \frac{A}{B}## and ##\frac{c}{d} < \frac{C}{D}## but ##\frac{a+c}{b+d} > \frac{A+C}{B+D}##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
Another context is "baseball arithmetic." A player who has 3 hits for 5 times at bat in one game has a batting average for that game of 3/5 (normally presented as .600). If he gets 1 hit out of 4 "at bats" in the next game (1/4 or .250), his average for the two games is 4/9 (= .444), calculated as ##\frac{3 + 1}{5 + 4}##.
Yes, thank you, I was thinking scoring % in basketball, but same thing here. In some sense, 20/30 would simplify to 2/3, but not always, not necessarily: having 2 hits in 3 at bats is not the same as having 20 hits in 30 at bats.

1. What is "Average Algebra"?

Average Algebra is a mathematical concept that combines the principles of algebra and statistics to find the average of a set of numbers. It involves using algebraic equations to calculate the mean, median, and mode of a data set.

2. How is "Average Algebra" useful?

Average Algebra is useful in various fields such as finance, economics, and data analysis. It allows for the interpretation and manipulation of data to make informed decisions and predictions.

3. Is "Average Algebra" a new development?

No, the concept of "Average Algebra" has been around for many years, but it has gained more recognition and application in recent years due to the increasing reliance on data and statistics in various industries.

4. Are there any specific techniques or formulas used in "Average Algebra"?

Yes, there are various techniques and formulas used in "Average Algebra" such as the formula for calculating the mean, median, and mode, and methods for finding the range and standard deviation of a data set.

5. How can I learn more about "Average Algebra"?

There are many resources available for learning about "Average Algebra", including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working with data sets to gain a better understanding of the concept.