Is there a job shortage for a Physics Graduate?

In summary: Overall, it seems that there is a shortage of jobs for Physics Graduates, but if you have a degree in physics you may have better luck finding a job.
Abiel Mehrete
Hi, I am planning to pursue a carear in Physics Master's degree. Before I go to college I want to know if there is a shortage of jobs for Physics Graduates. I haven't been introduced to all the fields of physics yet, so I just want an average answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, there's a shortage of jobs period. As a physics major, you're schooling and is impressive but the scope of jobs to which you can apply is relatively limited. In a small market, limiting your eligible job opportunities obviously just makes getting a job more difficult.

That having been said, there aren't many non-limiting Master's degrees in the sciences. There's a delicate balance between specializing and becoming limited or getting a degree in something general to the point where your skills are more broad, and unfortunately thus more superficial. With a degree in physics myself, I have found that I have had the most luck with jobs when I had some experience in the area. For instance, I did a few years research in visual neuroscience as it relates to computer vision - a more bioengineering based project. Soon thereafter, I was a researcher for an Ophthalmology department and my projects shared similarities with my pursuit in visual neuroscience.

My bottom line though would be that if you're interested then do it. It doesn't really matter what the job market is. If you find the job market is tough, you'll diversify the job types to which you apply. You'll have a foot in the door because you're impressive on paper. The only problem will be selling yourself (your ability to learn, problem solve, statistical and mathematical prowess, project oriented mindset, etc.) over those applicants who have direct and applicable backgrounds to that position. At the end of the day, you'll fall into where you want to be as long as you yourself don't become complacent.

Best of luck!

I think you'd be better of getting a Masters in Engineering. Engineering is applied physics, and applied is much more marketable than anything theoretical. My outlook on things is a bit different than many people on PF or in the real world. I don't believe in studying things you enjoy just for the sake of enjoyment. An education is an investment and should have some sort of ROI for it to be worth your time. If you love art history and major in it good luck finding a job, as an example. If you feel your calling is to get a masters degree in physics, make sure to google potential jobs with that level of education. I think degrees in physics are good in the aspect that they show you are intelligent and can process difficult information well which might be marketable to an employer but English majors are smart too. It's really a toss up. I go where the sure jobs are because that's why people go to school, for a better future. Sorry if I seem pessimistic.

I have quite a few friends with PhDs in math and physics, and several of them are unemployed, underemployed, or doing serial post-docs to make ends meet until something permanent comes along. At least one of my friends (a physics PhD) jokes about being a "house husband." He graduated from a top 20 program, researched and published, but can't find a permanent job. He's too theoretical for industry, but can't find a job as a theorist. Go figure.

Academic (professor) jobs are exceedingly hard to come by---our department received 600 applications for one job opening!---so don't plan your career expecting to be a professor. Stick with something that has some applicability to industry, defense, etc., in order to maximize your job prospects.

As a scientist in the field of physics, I can say that there is not necessarily a job shortage for physics graduates. The demand for individuals with a background in physics is actually quite high in various industries, including technology, engineering, and research. However, it is important to note that the job market for physics graduates may vary depending on the specific field of physics you choose to specialize in and the location you are seeking employment in.

In general, the field of physics is constantly evolving and expanding, creating new opportunities for individuals with a strong understanding of the subject. Additionally, many companies and organizations value the problem-solving and analytical skills that physics graduates possess, making them highly sought after in the job market.

That being said, it is important to also consider the current job market and the specific skills and qualifications that employers are looking for. It may be beneficial for you to research job postings and talk to professionals in the field to get a better understanding of the demand for physics graduates in your desired location and industry.

In conclusion, while there may not be a shortage of jobs for physics graduates, it is important to stay informed about the job market and continue to develop your skills to make yourself a competitive candidate. With a strong background in physics, you have the potential to excel in a variety of industries and make a valuable contribution to society.

1. What is the current job market like for Physics graduates?

As of 2021, the job market for Physics graduates is considered to be very competitive. While there is a demand for highly skilled and specialized physicists in certain industries, there is also a surplus of physics graduates seeking employment.

2. Is there a shortage of jobs for physics graduates?

While there may not be a shortage of jobs in general, there is a shortage of jobs specifically for physics graduates. This is due to the high level of competition and the fact that many industries may not have a high demand for physicists.

3. What industries typically hire physics graduates?

Physics graduates can find employment in a variety of industries, including research and development, aerospace and defense, energy and utilities, healthcare, and technology. Many also pursue careers in academia or government positions.

4. Are there any steps a physics graduate can take to improve their job prospects?

Yes, there are a few steps that a physics graduate can take to improve their job prospects. These include gaining practical experience through internships or research projects, networking with professionals in the field, and developing strong communication and problem-solving skills.

5. How can a physics graduate stand out in a competitive job market?

A physics graduate can stand out by showcasing their unique skills and experiences, such as specialized knowledge in a particular subfield of physics, proficiency in programming or data analysis, or involvement in relevant extracurricular activities. It is also important to continuously learn and stay updated on developments in the field.