1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a mechanical way of increasing angular movement?

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    (A) being a common pivot point for (B) and (C). In relationship to (A), I would like to have (C) move twice the DEGREE OF ANGULAR movement as (B).

Any suggestions or thoughts on how I might accomplish this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    I believe that if you increase the centripetal acceleration at point C then it will move at a higher angular velocity.
    someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about an epicyclic gear system? A is the centre of the sun gear, B is the centre of a planet gear, and C a point on an annular ring gear running on the planets?

5. Sep 22, 2008 #4
    You just described a simple gear joint. Just keep the relation DAC = 2DAB

6. Sep 23, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the suggestions. While I understand the concept, I'm looking for a mechanical method of rotating (C) twice that of (B) when both are connected to (A). Wondering if I need to consider some sort of a "cam-type" linkage or, possibly, a mechanical link to a secondary pivot point?

Thanks again..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook