Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a mechanical way of increasing angular movement?

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    (A) being a common pivot point for (B) and (C). In relationship to (A), I would like to have (C) move twice the DEGREE OF ANGULAR movement as (B).

Any suggestions or thoughts on how I might accomplish this would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    I believe that if you increase the centripetal acceleration at point C then it will move at a higher angular velocity.
    someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  4. Sep 22, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about an epicyclic gear system? A is the centre of the sun gear, B is the centre of a planet gear, and C a point on an annular ring gear running on the planets?
  5. Sep 22, 2008 #4
    You just described a simple gear joint. Just keep the relation DAC = 2DAB
  6. Sep 23, 2008 #5
    Thanks for the suggestions. While I understand the concept, I'm looking for a mechanical method of rotating (C) twice that of (B) when both are connected to (A). Wondering if I need to consider some sort of a "cam-type" linkage or, possibly, a mechanical link to a secondary pivot point?

Thanks again..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?