Is there a negative stigma with applied physics

In summary, there is some perception that applied physics students are not as good as theoretical physics students, but this is not universally true.
fequalsma
I'm currently a physics major. I plan to study robotics engineering in grad school (haven't decided if I'll do it through ME, EE, CS, or a robotics specific program). I've recently realized, though, that if I change my major to applied physics, I'll be able to take electives that will be more useful to me (controls and automation) instead of quantum.

However, I've heard several engineers say that they'd rather not hire an "applied engineer" because they tend to be less rigorous. Is there a similar stigma with applied physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
I can imagine someone seeing the "applied" label and thinking you did it because you were not good enough for the core degree track in some way.

However, it also depends where you go and what you do.
But remember that the course track exists for a reason - you should take advise from your Dean or similar official.

No, I do not think this is a problem.

Thank you, that's helpful. I did talk to my dean, who said it shouldn't be a problem. He said the program was created as an alternative route for people who wanted to do research in engineering and other fields, because the physics gave it a research oriented course load. However, people often perceive our actions differently than we do. So, I wanted to see how it appeared to people outside of my university.

fequalsma said:
I'm currently a physics major. I plan to study robotics engineering in grad school (haven't decided if I'll do it through ME, EE, CS, or a robotics specific program). I've recently realized, though, that if I change my major to applied physics, I'll be able to take electives that will be more useful to me (controls and automation) instead of quantum.

However, I've heard several engineers say that they'd rather not hire an "applied engineer" because they tend to be less rigorous. Is there a similar stigma with applied physics?

I didn't know that engineers had split into "applied" and "theoretical" camps of late. You must have talked to a rogue group who hung around too much with physicists.

I think applied physics is interesting and important and I am doing applied physics. However at least with physics students many of them want to study esoteric disciplines like quantum gravity and become Einstein; these disciplines don't draw enough grant money relative to applied physics. Only the "cleverest" students get to study them, and so there is something of a notion that applied physics students are sell outs or not as good. But this notion isn't completely widespread.

^I know several engineering grads who want to get into geophysics and astrophysics, but the thing is that when someone thinks of "cool" physics they are probably referring to the hard core BCS superconductivity or string theory or quantum gravity or astrophysics. Applied Physics in my country is actually an afterthought, generally pursued by people with interdisciplinary bent of mind. I am an engineering graduate but what I study in my academic career roughly falls into engineering physics. I do find it very interesting, but most people I know do not share that line of thought. :)

1. Is there a negative stigma associated with applied physics?

Yes, there can be a negative stigma associated with applied physics. This is because applied physics is often seen as a less prestigious field compared to theoretical physics. There is also a misconception that applied physics is only concerned with practical applications, rather than fundamental scientific research.

2. Why is there a negative stigma with applied physics?

The negative stigma with applied physics may stem from a lack of understanding and appreciation for the field. It may also be due to the fact that applied physics is often used for practical applications and may not receive as much attention or recognition as theoretical physics.

3. How does the negative stigma affect those working in applied physics?

The negative stigma can create barriers for those working in applied physics, as it may lead to less funding and resources for research and less recognition for achievements. It may also discourage students from pursuing a career in applied physics, limiting the potential growth and progress in the field.

4. Is the negative stigma with applied physics justified?

No, the negative stigma with applied physics is not justified. Applied physics plays a crucial role in advancing technology and solving real-world problems. It also involves complex and innovative research, just like theoretical physics.

5. How can we change the negative stigma associated with applied physics?

We can change the negative stigma associated with applied physics by educating the public and promoting the importance and impact of the field. Encouraging collaboration and recognition between applied and theoretical physics can also help break down the stigma and showcase the value of both fields.