Is there a popular song that you absolutely detest?

  • Thread starter Thread starter turbo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 6K views
turbo
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
3,181
Reaction score
57
There are songs that make me hit "next" on my remote or switch radio stations in my car. And they are often by performers that I generally enjoy hearing. Probably the worst one for me is "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. He wrote it for Patty Boyd, the model that he stole from George Harrison, and it is just too over-the-top for me.

Edit: Please would a helpful moderator put "you" in the title line?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I hate all pop artists and their songs. It's what we referred to as
"bubblegum" back in the 60's-70's.
 
Last edited:
Evo said:
I hate all pop artists and their song. It's what we referred to as
"bubblegum" back in the 60's-70's.
I agree, and thanks for fixing the title. I listen to classic rock, blues, some jazz and some country. Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" was a very unfortunate foray into schmaltzy pop, and should never have gotten on his "Slowhand" album. The stuff that he did with the Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Cream, and Blind Faith didn't prepare me for that stinker.
 


Danger said:
Most of them...

ditto lol
That airplanes and shooting stars one gets on my nerves.
 
As a high school teacher, I get to sample the latest popular songs year after year (oh joy!). I would guess that one in twenty songs gets to the "at least it's interesting" threshold.
 
Bubblegum chick rock. (*cough* Taylor Swift *cough*)

I also don't like modern mainstream Christian music--90's was the golden age.
 
Pianoman14 said:
I also don't like modern mainstream Christian music--90's was the golden age.
I didn't know that Christian music had a "golden age". My aunt used to give me albums and CDs of such "music" because she wasn't happy about my live performances of the "devil's music" - rock and blues.
 
turbo-1 said:
I didn't know that Christian music had a "golden age". My aunt used to give me albums and CDs of such "music" because she wasn't happy about my live performances of the "devil's music" - rock and blues.

I think we have the same aunt LOL Mine used to give me Amy...(I forget her last name but she's a popular Christian artist) CD's and when she heard me listening to Bob Marley she gave my mom a book about what to do when your child is in a cult LOL
 
turbo-1 said:
I didn't know that Christian music had a "golden age". My aunt used to give me albums and CDs of such "music" because she wasn't happy about my live performances of the "devil's music" - rock and blues.

The 90's was when bands like dc Talk and Jars of Clay broke into the mainstream--because their music was really excellent. Nowadays, I get the feeling that some bands, such as Evanescense (in their early days) slap on the Christian label to limit their competition and make more money.

P.S. If you like blues (technically this is boogie because of the bass configuration), then watch this video. It's really quite impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&feature=related&hl=uk&v=UAZe1G5bdpE
 
Pianoman14 said:
The 90's was when bands like dc Talk and Jars of Clay broke into the mainstream--because their music was really excellent.

I remember them! I have to agree with you on Evanescence even though I like their music. I think P.O.D. and Switchfoot are pretty good.
 
turbo-1 said:
I didn't know that Christian music had a "golden age". My aunt used to give me albums and CDs of such "music" because she wasn't happy about my live performances of the "devil's music" - rock and blues.

Do you shoot skeet? You could use them as clay pigeons. :-p
 
A lot of the pop music being released today is meant to be listened to at a club, with alcohol flowing through the body. The lyrics are meaningless since it's mostly about the beat, the rhythm. So, yeah, most of that music is garbage music.

The worst offenders are the Black Eyed Peas.
 
This time of year I hear nothing but popular tunes that neither I nor anyone else likes.
 
Proton Soup said:



This song is awesome !

I never got what the deal was.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Proton Soup said:
My mother loved him. What ever happened to him?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The music I'm referring to that is so obnoxious is the stuff on pop radio. Beyonce, Rihanna, Mariah Carey, I honestly don't even know the names of these women that have songs out, it's too bad to pay attention to. (Had to look up names of people currently popular.)

But someone must like this stuff, it sells.
 
Proton Soup said:
Well, I couldn't stop moving to this tune. I had 'happy feet'. What does this mean? Is it a manifestation of some latent, inner 'gayness'? (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) Or what?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
There are songs that make me hit "next" on my remote or switch radio stations in my car. And they are often by performers that I generally enjoy hearing. Probably the worst one for me is "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. He wrote it for Patty Boyd, the model that he stole from George Harrison, and it is just too over-the-top for me.
I have to agree with you that "Wonderful Tonight" is particularly nauseating. Were the other Beatles aware that Eric had stolen a model from George?

I understand that you're a musician. What do you play?
 
I've been thinking about this. Actually, there's no 'genre' that I find especially offensive, except perhaps for polka. My sincere opinion is that it should be outlawed, considering its utterly predictable rhythmic cadence and totally uninspiring harmonics. Thank the gods that our youth are listening to hip-hop and gangsta rap and not polka.
 
HeLiXe said:
I think we have the same aunt LOL Mine used to give me Amy...(I forget her last name but she's a popular Christian artist)
Grant, perhaps?

There's very little pop music that doesn't make me want to change the station immediately (I only listen to music anymore on the radio).
 
Someone mentioned the golden age of Christian music.

Back in the 90s, I knew of a church that was started by a Christian band just to get fans. What a scam! First they just played at the services, but before you knew it they were selling CDs to their members.

The son-in-law of a former employer was the band leader. He was also the "self-ordained" minister.
 
Gokul43201 said:
Grant, perhaps?

Ah yes that's her :) Amy Grant. I think she went mainstream for a bit too. I was so young in those times though lol
 
Evo said:
The music I'm referring to that is so obnoxious is the stuff on pop radio. Beyonce, Rihanna, Mariah Carey, I honestly don't even know the names of these women that have songs out, it's too bad to pay attention to. (Had to look up names of people currently popular.)

But someone must like this stuff, it sells.

Obnoxious is the right word...even noxious :-p The lyrics kill me..."if you like it then you should have put a ring on it" and some of the words I don't even understand. But anyways I'm more into trance, rock, and world music so some of the stuff I listen to is particularly annoying to many people :) Like Thoda Resham Lagta Hai by Lata Mangeshkar lolol Even though a part of this song was used in popular music in the past.
 
Evo said:
I hate all pop artists and their songs. It's what we referred to as
"bubblegum" back in the 60's-70's.

Does this include the Beatles?
 
Loremaster said:
Does this include the Beatles?
Probably not. Just guessing. But what about Martha and the Vandellas and their ilk. (ilk?) By the way, what's a Vandella?
 
ThomasT said:
I have to agree with you that "Wonderful Tonight" is particularly nauseating. Were the other Beatles aware that Eric had stolen a model from George?

I understand that you're a musician. What do you play?
The other Beatles were well aware that Boyd was having an affair with Clapton and left Harrison for him.

I play a few instruments, but stick mostly with guitar and vocals.