Is There a Real Solution for a^n+b^n=c^n as n Approaches Infinity?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Icebreaker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
62 replies · 7K views
matt grime said:
Both forms are not equivalent though because of that "limit" word in there (n is a dummy vairable, not actually a variable).

Yes, and this is the reason I had misgivings about solving equations with the limit notation in them. Certainly that works fine in special cases, as you illustrated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
this thread was so depressing from the beginning i never jumped in. questions need to be clearly stated before an answer is possible. the problem posed originally was never actually defined.

please stop this.
 
If I could edit this, I would simply change "real" to "positive integer", and the problem would go away.