1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a special term for refractive indices when 1 is subtracted?

  1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    I have been doing a bit of studying for my optics course and I have often come across refractive indices or materials being presented as n-1 (which often makes a lot of sense). I was just wondering if there was a special term like for this format or if we still call it just the "refractive index"?

    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, it's not directly for homework although I will probably use it for homework. It's more just for my own information.

  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook