Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a way the ancients moved giant stones without machinery?

1. Jul 26, 2015 #1
    Not that I believe Ancient Aliens but is the pulley and log theory really that solid?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. This movie is mainly about debunking ancient aliens, but it does go into quite some details about the building:

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Oh, and here's a guy who is building a replica of stonehenge on his own!!

5. Jul 26, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

If Ancient Aliens says something is so, you can pretty much take it to the bank that it is not so.

6. Jul 26, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean???? If the "Alien Theorists" (meaning anyone who has a theory -- in the coloquial sense of the word) with no training in neither physiscs nor engineering , after two minutes of thought, cannot find an explanation, then what reasonable alternative is there to "alens built it". It is the ultimate in arrogance and mental lazyness. This is the (implied) message: if I , with no training in engineering nor physics do not get it, it is impossible. How could these ( usually non-white) people have come up with this if I, after a whole 30 minutes, without consulting books , nor any other source, can explain it?

7. Jul 26, 2015 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You do realize that 'Ancient Aliens' means creatures from outer space? It's a joke based on the extra terestrial Ancient Aliens shows.

8. Jul 26, 2015 #7
    I think WWGD was being sarcastic at first, then switched to explaining his sarcasm, but without a good segue.

9. Jul 26, 2015 #8

Evo

Yeah, I am confused by his response.

10. Jul 26, 2015 #9
    This is the video I would have posted had you not beat me to it. It shows that such things can be done in ways that are unexpectedly easy.

11. Jul 26, 2015 #10
    Yes, I don't believe a mere human could have written so confusing a response without help from...well, I'm not saying it was aliens, but...

12. Jul 26, 2015 #11

Evo

LOL!!!

25103267.jpg

13. Jul 26, 2015 #12

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I dont get your point. What am I missing?
    " It is the ultimate in arrogance and mental lazyness"?

14. Jul 26, 2015 #13

Evo

That posts you're replying to are jokes about extraterrestrial tv shows?

15. Jul 26, 2015 #14
    Is there way ancients moved giant stones without machinery?

yes.
    sledges, boats. levers, oxen, watermills, ropes, pulleys, and more.
    Ah .but that's machinery right?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  16. Jul 26, 2015 #15

Drakkith

No worries, there's an actual 'law' for this. It's called Poe's Law:
    "The core idea of Poe's law is that a parody of something extreme can be mistaken for the real thing, and if a real thing sounds extreme enough, it can be mistaken for a parody."

17. Jul 26, 2015 #16
    Some of the ancient aliens probably ripped off the costume designs from early episodes of Star Trek though.

18. Jul 26, 2015 #17

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I recall a year or two ago some research was done on using ice to move heavy stones. Shallow trenches were dug, flooded, then once frozen in the winter the stones were dragged across the ice. They hypothesised that this was the only method that could've been used for these particular stones. I can't find anything via google though.

19. Jul 26, 2015 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An implied point from the show is that (many) modern men (theorists are mostly male), with all its fancy technology, seems to lack the imagination to do certain things, or understand how to do thm, with , often, very simple tools, like the ancient ( non-alien) often did.

20. Jul 26, 2015 #19

Drakkith

I don't think it's that we lack the imagination, but that most of our engineers and other people who actually figure out things like this are working with modern materials building modern structures using modern equipment and therefor have little need to put their very creative minds to figuring out how to do something in a way that became obsolete thousands of years ago.

21. Jul 26, 2015 #20

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, yes, you're right, I should have referred to the "theorists" , who assume that just because they cannot imagine it being done with everyday (basic) technology, it cannot be done at all. Sorry for all my confusion here, I will take a break.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook