Is there a way to appear smarter?

• Thread starter bor0000
  • Start date

dduardo

Staff Emeritus
In conversation bring up how highly ranked you are in Dungeon and Dragons. That always gets the ladies attention.

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
dduardo said:
In conversation bring up how highly ranked you are in Dungeon and Dragons. That always gets the ladies attention.
Yep, it does get our attention, and then we slowly back away. We always pay attention to whom to avoid. :biggrin:

bor0000 said:
a friend is asking. suggest some things he could do? any books he should read, or people he should associate with, or just general ideas? thanks
This reminds me of Dean Moriarty writing Sal Paradise; asking him for tips on how he can be more intellectual, what books to read, what big words to use etc..

Pengwuino

Gold Member
bor0000 said:
a friend is asking. suggest some things he could do? any books he should read, or people he should associate with, or just general ideas? thanks
Tell him to stop asking questions like that.

The Sphinx said:
If that is what he/she wants, I can say thet there is no chance for him/her.

I am sorry...! (j/k)
i don't think he was really kidding... when you try to look smart, you only look dumb... (take it from one who knows)... they say being smart is the only cure... but i know nothing about it really... good luck to your friend :biggrin:

bor0000 said:
damn, a writer and a physicist. i should just quit trying.
i thought this was for a friend?... o wait.. i get it... it's for "a friend" :rofl:

bor0000 said:
SAT vocab is pretty lame. It's not the vocabulary but what you say. He is just too wordy and often contradicts himself and is often judjemental and rude and annoying, which makes all the girls run away from him.
agreed... often this will make you look "stupider"... especially when the other person starts going deeper into a topic you are not prepared to discuss... so like marlon says, saying nothing is better than saying something of no value....

digging a hole for yourself lets people know where to help you dig. :wink: it's better to admit your weaknesses, at least your smart enough to be honest... :biggrin:

The only useful, sincere advice i got from a writer: read Sartre. I already picked out some books that i'll be reading for the next year or so, none of them are as heavy as Sartre, the closest is probably "Of Human Bondage". But many books may be even considered "children's books". Right now I'm reading "great expectations"-i may say the book is entertaining. Also, since it is a book it improves my english somewhat, i.e. i can read a bit faster. But i dont think i've gained anything intellectually. I read "Razor's Edge" and that i believe left something in me, but i dont know exactly what. Is Sartre a level above Maugham? What other authors are hardcore in sharing knowledge?

As for "be quiet"-that is the most useless advice ever. I am reserved in real life already. But if i'm interested in something, I need to participate.. And i need to learn how to present myself more intellectually and amiably. Sometimes i dont know what gets into me but i say something hateful/angry/pessimistic. In razor's edge i really liked how all those characters conversed so amiably and tactfully, not to mention his narrative, i wish i could do half as good.

Also, before this summer i practically didnt read any books(other than school textbooks) my whole life and i am turning 22. But ive read a few books now, and i still feel like reading books could improve my character, but not by much:(

p.s. what do you think of my reading list so far(in chronological order):
razor's edge-done-i just love how maugham expresses himself, a true intellectual. i couldnt really relate to any of the characters. may be if larry had listened to eliott's advice in the beginning, he'd become quiet a gentleman, but then there would be nothing to write about.
sister carrie, great expectations(reading now)-good, interesting books, but i dont think they've made me even a little smarter.
vanity of bonfires-is it even lighter than the previous 2?
count of monte christo-looking forward to it
arrowsmith-i want to be a doctor, but i question whether this book would teach me anything
of human bondage-looking forward to it
crossing to safety(wallace stegner)
doctor dealer, surviving extremes-this is just something for fun, they're not real literature.

i hope these books would make me somewhat literate so that i could at least talk about something with people.

now the books that i hope to jump to after this:
Sartre, Dawkins, Zen and the Brain, Letters of Lord Chesterfield. Would those books suddenly make me intellectual, or you're just either borne with it or not?

i guess it would take me quiete a long time to read all of these. I am now reading at about 25pages/hr(for the regular size like penguin classics) and i can usually allocate only about 1hr to such leisurely reading per day. I'll try to keep it up at 1 hour once the school starts. also i must note that when the summer started i was doing only about 17pages/hr, but thats probably because i was reading lying down while now i read in a comfortable chair sitting up.

outsider said:
agreed... often this will make you look "stupider"... especially when the other person starts going deeper into a topic you are not prepared to discuss... so like marlon says, saying nothing is better than saying something of no value....

digging a hole for yourself lets people know where to help you dig. :wink: it's better to admit your weaknesses, at least your smart enough to be honest... :biggrin:
outsider, as was explained above, it's not necessary to discuss complicated ideas, it's how you discuss them that counts! if you are consise, tactful, and logical, then people notice. and if you are angry,wordy, annoying, cynical, brute, people also notice it! so i'm trying to get rid of the latter.

bor0000 said:
outsider, as was explained above, it's not necessary to discuss complicated ideas, it's how you discuss them that counts! if you are consise, tactful, and logical, then people notice. and if you are angry,wordy, annoying, cynical, brute, people also notice it! so i'm trying to get rid of the latter.
yes, that is a good idea... you sound smart enough to me... but i'm not in any position to coach on appearing smart... being knowledgable in any area and having good self confidence is enough to fool most women, if that is your goal... (present company excluded of course)

bor0000 said:

study 10 hours per day and try to avoid human contact for an entire year.

i am not being cute.

kant said:

i am not being cute.
this is the worst advice i've ever heard of... sorry to say... but it is :rofl:
where did you get this idea from?

Moonbear said:
If he actually wants to BE smarter, then nothing to do but buckle down and crack open the books.
this is dangerous because when doing so, one can actually realize he/she is just hoplelessly retarted :uhh:

I say we keep it superficial and try to appear as smart as we can be. That in itself, already is a hughe challenge to must of us

marlon

kant said:

i am not being cute.
Doesn't that... defeat the purpose of trying to appear smarter, kinda hard to do if no one is around to see the end result... :uhh:

C

Cappicola

Sure, spend some time with the books.... but refocus on developing your emotional intelligence. You'll be the wiser for the effort expended.

Wear glasses?

R

Rach3

Sit around and age for sixty years, then wear some really thick glasses.

furrow your brows

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dngrsone said:
The best way to appear smarter is to be smarter. Which means one should always be learning, and to tie in with my first sentence, one can't learn very well while running at the mouth. :rolleyes:
Your first statement is certainly true, but I disagree with the last. I find (and I know others like this) that it's much easier to both understand and recall a conversation if you're taking part in it. This doesn't mean dominating the conversation, just contributing and perhaps asking questions. Even if you have nothing interesting to say, this will force you to remain engaged and actively thinking. On the other hand, if you generally have nothing interesting to say, then participating won't make you look particularly smart.

In other words, I think remaining silent will make him look better in the short run, but may not help build his conversation skills and knowledge base in the long run. It all comes down to Moonbear's question of whether he just wants to appear smart or to actually be smart. You can learn a lot from asking a smart person a lot of (seemingly) stupid questions.

I recommend reading "Of Studies", in Of Empire, by Francis Bacon. He explains how to become better mentally (including wit, which helps one to make friends, so long as tact is observed).

Reading books on the subjects that you want to appear smart in, without necessary understanding any/most of it, is a good way to impress people who aren't smart (or at least aren't knowledgable on the subject). Be careful, though, because you might accidentally become smart.

Also, using good spelling, grammar, and punctuation helps a lot. The trick is to impress and using the manners of the elite impresses.

Also telling people that you're smart, and having other people agree (sincerity is necessary when convincing empathetic people) works well, since popular opinion has a large sway on many people (especially in High School, though that won't help you anymore).

Also, faking smartness isn't really considered a "moral" thing to do, usually.

Sigh...
dduardo said:
...if only it were positive attention... :frown:

Deleted: Moonbear already asked this question.

Last edited:
Change your name from "So and so" to "So and so Ph.d."

Mk

Sisyphus said:
furrow your brows
Sisyphus? :confused: You must have wireless now.

Act like you are highly intellegent and be evil. That has always worked for me in the past.

Never say the word "thinking cap."

Last edited:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses