Is There a Way to Calculate Energy in Magnets Using FEMM Software?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lba7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Magnet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
lba7
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello,

(I'm not fluently in english, sorry if it's not a pure english)

I use FEMM software for caculate energy. I have found an integral fonction "Magnetic field Energy" when I select a surface. But I have always the same energy, I don't know why. Is there necessary to make something special ?

In fact, I would like to calculate the energy when a magnet draw a solid metal, or when a magnet draw another magnet. It's a simple problem.

The potential energy move between a solo magnet or a magnet with metal, no ?


Somebody can help me ?

Thanks

Ludovic
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When a magnet pulls a ferromagnetic metal it actually realigns the magnetic domains in the metal so that they form a magnet. That said, there is a specific http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/engfie.html" . When two fields overlap they will superimpose to either make the field stronger (increasing the energy and requiring work) or weaker (reducing the energy and doing work).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
good, thanks, but how can I use FEMM software for have energy in the magnet ?