1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a way to prove equivalent cardinalites?

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm just a bit stupefied at trying to prove a cardinality. I'm not sure I have the skills, but I would like to show that the cardinalities of R (the real numbers) and the interval on (0,1) are equivalent.--to be clear, the interval here is all real numbers between (0,1).

2. Relevant equations
    I suppose I could show some sort of bijection between the two, but I don't know how to begin it. I do realize that I will need a more general definition than an actual formula.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm stuck here. I don't know how to begin exactly. This is not my homework problem. In fact, my homework is to show that the cardinalities of R and the interval of real numbers (1,infinity) are equivalent.

Any tips would be very appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

one thing that occurs to me is that if you suitably restricted the domain of the tangent function, you'd map an interval symmetric around 0 to all of R.

then it's just a matter of tinkering around with the argument of the tan function to keep it within (0,1).

finally, you want to show that this gives you a bijection of (0,1) with R, which is equivalent to showing the inverse function exists.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook